1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wheel width on 04 Silverado

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Lil_Red_Chevy, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy New Member

hey guys does anyone know for sure what the wheel width on an 04 silverado 1500 Z71 is?
    I've got 17" wheels already and I want to go from 265/70/R17 to atleast a 285/70/R17, but I dont know for sure how wide my wheel is. 7" or what?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Below are 2.... 17in" Alloy Rim for the 2004" Silverado's.....Both have a Section Width of....7.5in"s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] HOL 5196MSM
    $149.00
    Part Number: HOL.5196MSM
    Wheel Size: 17 x 7.5
    Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5
    Finish: Mach/silv

[​IMG]

Size: 17" x 7.5"
    Finish: SILVER (OEM RIM)
    Style: ALLOY WHEEL, 17X7.5, 5 SPOKE,
    Dealer Wheel Price: $573.00
    Discount Wheel Price: $175.00
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  3. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy New Member

thanks for the help now i just need to figure out if a 285 is recommened for only a 7.5" width
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

7.5" is fine for a 285.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

If you Go to the Below link and enter your Current Rim and Tire Size on the left hand side and then enter on the Right hand side the Rim and Tire Size you are looking to install.....it will show you all the Spec's on fitment and so on,

Link,
    http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
  6. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy New Member

well thats good, but I've been told my tire wear will increase due to a larger tire crest than if I had an 8"wheel

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

last two questions:

If I put a 285 on my OEM 17" wheels what is my offset and just to be clear will it be enough to prevent rubbing on the inside of my wheel well?
  7. 99'HEARTBEAT

Your Factory 17in" Rims.....have a Offset of +31....and a 5.5in" Backspace.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

A 285 is a narrow 33" tire. A 305 isa wider 33" tire. The recommended wheel width is 8" to 10". So I don't think you'll have a wear problem with the 7.5" wheel.
  9. Lil_Red_Chevy

Lil_Red_Chevy New Member

Alright thanks guys I'll probably wait a little longer then for new wheels and do it right the first time.