When cold, buzz follows acceleration - '10 Silvy

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by kalashluvr, Mar 29, 2013.

1. kalashluvr

kalashluvr Rockstar

Hi, my 2010 Silverado LT 5.3, 6 sp auto has recently developed a buzz that increases in loudness as I accelerate. I can put the transmission in park and slowly rev the engine and it still happens. It lasts for a few minutes and goes away. The truck has 48,000 miles on it now and is just a daily driver. It almost sounds like its coming out of the dash but I am having trouble isolating it because it goes away within 5 minutes. Any help troubleshooting this will be appreciated!

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If you think it might be a couple of plastic panels rubbing together, a little bit of polish should help. I have a noise from the seat panels (a little squeak when I move), a bit of plastic polish spraying the cracks, this weekend, should stop it.

Does it change frequency with engine rpm changes? If so, it is probably under the hood, maybe a belt, or a pulley.

3. kalashluvr

kalashluvr Rockstar

The frequency does go higher and the noise gets louder as I accelerate or rev the engine. Like I said it goes away in about 5 minutes when the engine warms up.

- - - Updated - - -

And all A/C or heat turned off

4. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Do you have an aftermarket radio? I remember my brother-in-law's truck had an aftermarket radio that was not grounded properly and you could hear the engine thru the radio, as a certain pitch-y whine, that would increase and decrease as engine rpm's did.

Also, I have a slight hum at idle from what i can only discern as plastic panels rubbing together I highly suggest the above post mentioning polishing the places where plastic mouldings and other objects connect to the truck at.

5. kalashluvr

kalashluvr Rockstar

I do have an aftermarket radio but I've turned everything off trying to troubleshoot. It's definitely under the dash or hood and it sounds to me like a power steering pump but I don't know how to diagnose and isolate that. It's tough because I have about a 5 minute window before the engine heard up and the sound goes away.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a friend that experienced the hum of plastic. This sounds "hydraulic" in nature almost.

6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It's been my experience, that a "start up" squeal, that goes away when the engine warms, is usually a belt.

7. kalashluvr

kalashluvr Rockstar

It's not a squeal but rather a buzz/low pitch whine. I just visited dealership and he thinks its power steering pump or rack, or air in line. The pump or rack going out this early is rare according to him. I can let the truck sit for about 10 minutes and it will do it again. 1500 rpm is the magic number to make this sound.