1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When do you change your belts??

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by liv2hunt, Apr 17, 2010.

1. liv2hunt

liv2hunt Member

Hey Fellas I bought my truck used 2 years ago the truck had 80k on it. I now have over 100k. I was just wandering how long do you let the belts run. Is there a way I can tell if they were changed. I looked at them and they look good no little cracks on them.
  2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

If they're not cracked, stretched, or dry-rotted, they're probably fine.
    I generally don't let a belt go longer than 3 or 4 years or 40k, whichever comes first.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

like to chang mine at around 30-40K I'm at 42K now. So I'll take a good look at it this week.. Hell it's a cheap part and easy to replace..
  4. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Yep, I agree, if you're in doubt, it's a cheap fix.
  5. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

When it falls off. Check it out every oil change,When I change mine I put the old one behind the seat,so I got a spare.Cuz ya never know when a cat is gonna get under the hood...:lol:
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A great idea too.. When you change it. If the old one is not bad keep it somewhere in the truck. Mine will go in the side bin...
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When I change my pants.
  8. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

we start to recommend replacement when there is about 8 cracks per inch, but with newer belts they are made better and do not crack as much, so we use a gauge to see when its worn out you can pick one up and NAPA
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I change mine every 40k ish or else when it the tensioner is near its end of travel. And i have always kept my spare belts in my tool box in my truck.. (good thing the belt for my boat, and truck are totaly different and extra spares for my sleds arent either cuz its a mess)