Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When to switch to synthetic in 5.3L engine.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 1, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I just bought my new Silverado with the 5.3L engine, I've heard numerous opinions, about when to start using synthetic oil.

My own personal beliefs is that you start using at ~10K miles.

What are other forum members thoughts.

BTW, I user Mobil 1 5-30 when I do switch.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well 10k will be pretty much your first oil change but at 3k isn't a problem. Btw what oil filter do you plan to use. Personally I'm partial to Fram Tough Guard filters, but others are good. Here's some info about Fram filters:
    Extra Guard - for everyday driving
    Tough Guard - for heavy duty or tough driving conditions and 7,500 mile change intervals
    Extended Guard - 10,000 mile filter for the longer oil change intervals
    Ultra - Updated version of Extended Guard, featuring a fully syntheic media for a 15,000 mile change interval
  3. paracutin

paracutin Member 100 Posts

About 30 minutes after you get home with it. No need to wait.
    BTW - I like AC Delco oil filters.
    My Used Oil Analysis says it all.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...il-Analysis-Just-bragging?highlight=paracutin
  4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I did my first oil and filter change at 1000 miles. At that time I put in Mobil 1 full synthetic and a K&N filter.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I also use ac delco filters only. I would not put any fram product on anything I own. Not even my lawn mover. Never!! A fram tough gaurd filter uses 248 Square inches of filter material compared to the AC delco equivalent filter that uses 315 square inches, a K&N equivalent uses 356 square inches, mobile 1 filter 356 square inches. I think you get my point! I will not bore you with end cap materials or back flow valve construction. A lot of filters are made by the same company. Mobile 1, k&n, stp, Ac delco and a few others are produced by Champion labs
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

with the new oil filter design I would stick with the ac delco filters. stay away from fram filters.

I have been using synthetic Mobil 1 5-30wt in my engines with no problems over many year now. no oil /engine issues. long lasting protection. 10,ooomi or less is a good time to start. I have found that the first 1000mi on the engine the oil gets dirty. so I replace the oil/filter . then at about 3,ooomi replace the oil/filter again using regular oil. then after that I replace with the synthetic.

I noticed an increase in MPG after the switch. especially winter.
  7. paracutin

paracutin Member 100 Posts

+1 to everything Pikey said. Fram are not a quality filter.
  8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I only use AC Delco oil filters. I can get them at the local auto parts store, they're about the same price as the other brands, and if I ever need engine service, the dealer can't give me any lip business about using cr@ppy parts.

I shied away from non-AC filters years ago on my 4.3L WT. When I used any other brand but AC Delco oil filter, the engine would rattle when it started.
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Since I've been doing the oil changes in my Tahoe I've used the Tough Guard on it because of how well it filters the oil. I'm not saying others suck I'm just saying I trust Fram filters. Also you can say anything against the anti drain back valve is made of silicon.
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/e...visit-frams-r-d-facility-dayton-ohio-1261517/
    That's a link to a person who visited their facility last year.
  10. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Check your owners manual on page 11-13. The 5.3L already has at least a synthetic blend and the only oil I have found with the dexos1 label are synthetics. Also see page 1-34 as when to change oil. FYI.. GM still uses the AC/DELCO PF48 oil filter. Go to this URL to get your on line manual in PDF form. http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/chevy-manuals.html

Chevy will void the warrantee if a non dexos1 oil is used. The Active Management needs the best oil there is so as when four cylinders shut down, there is proper oil left on the cylinder walls & rings. Search this site on "excess oil use". Older 5.3 had a problem and one part of the fix is dexos1 certified oil.

Specification
    Use and ask for licensed engine
    oils with the dexos1™ approved
    certification mark. Engine oils
    meeting the requirements for the
    vehicle should have the dexos™1
    approved certification mark.
    This certification mark indicates that
    the oil has been approved to the
    dexos1 specification.
    Notice: Failure to use the
    recommended engine oil or
    equivalent can result in engine
    damage not covered by the
    vehicle warranty. Check with your
    dealer or service provider on
    whether the oil is approved to the
    dexos1 specification.

- - - Updated - - -

That was the oil draining out of the filter into the oil pan and causing the oil to be siphoned out of the valves lifters and the rest of the oil system. I had a similar problem with a 92 Saturn. The 5w30 oil was recommended and on one oil change I used 10w30. It would always rattle on start up because the oil was too thick. I drained it out and replaced it with 5w30, no more rattle after that.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012