Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Where do you jack up your suburban and place jack stands?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Family Force 6, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

Just curious where everyone places their floor jack for lifting rear and front of their truck/SUV and where you place jackstands?

I've been doing some rear brake work and have been using the frame rails toward the back, but they are bending!

I know some people put the jack under the rear diff, but the brake lines look like they'll get pinched by my jack stands (Using 6 ton rated jackstands BTW).

Should the frame rails be bending from the weight of the suburban?

As always, thanks in advance to everyone who takes the time to respond.

FF6
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I lift from whatever location I need. I prefer to lift off the rear axle, but obviously I couldn't do that when I did the axle swap. I did notice when I tried to lift from the frame rail by too much at one time the rail wanted to bend. Take it in small steps and lift evenly and you should be ok.
  3. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

When you say too much at one time, does that mean you jack each side up a little at a time? The upgraded 6-ton jack stands I had to buy for this beast sit pretty high, so I don't usually have to go much higher than the 1st or 2nd notch. I've jacked the car up several times in the last couple of weeks (see my post on overheating brake shoes!) and the rail is looking a little dinged up and even bent a little. I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.