1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Where is the oil Pump located?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Redbeard, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

Hi fellas! I've done oil pumps on a lot of cars over the years, but this is the first time that I feel the need to replace it in my 2002 4.3 Silverado, and I just don't know where is it.
    By the way, and before I get to it. I would like a few opinions from you guys with the experience or should I say expertise?
    The engine makes a clunking noise like oil starvation usually in the morning or after the truck is been sitting for a few hours. I just noticed that tha oil pressure gage moves very slowly up while the noise is there and it takes a good 3 to 5 minutes to reach the max which is two lines over the 40 mark. Am I right to suspect the oil pump??? Or should I look for another offender?
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts

3. Toymyster

Toymyster New Member

As most chevy engine , the oil pump is in the oil pan, like unplugged said!! Before you condemn the oil pump: How many miles on your truck?? What kind of oil are you using and how fresh is it?? What part of the world do you live in, how cold is it in your neighborhood??
    Try changing your oil and filter with a thinner viscosity oil, and see if it helps. And if it is indeed your pump, Stay away from high pressure pumps, since they can wash out your bearings. I do recommend a high volume replacement, though!!
    Doing and oil pump while the engine is still in the car is an absolute pain, I would make certain the problem is in fact the pump before doing it!!
    Hope this helps!!

Chevy Parts
  4. Redbeard

Redbeard New Member

Thank You. Very helpful info.
  5. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

you might find the pick-up screen is full of crud too, but the $30 to install a new pump while you are already there is good piece of mind.....mike