1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

where to buy new gear set up.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ntbush83, Sep 21, 2010.

1. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I am looking to get a new gear set up. Most likely a 4.27 ratio since I'm running 33's and may upgrade to 35's some day. I have no idea what brands are the best and which ones I should get. Also would it be worth my time to get a whole new dif? I wouldn't mind having a locker. Thanks
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I saw a couple of recommendations on this site but will be intersted in seeing more opinions, as I am looking around myself.
  3. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member

Check out Randys ring and pinion at "ringpinion.com" there really knowledgeable people and are very willing to help.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We always used PrecisionGears form RiederRacing. Installed hundreds of these gears and never had a issue, there great. Also If I remmeber right ARB has a air locker that fits your stock 2500 rear end.
  5. ntbush83

Thanks. How exactly does an air locker work?
  6. silveradotrailblazer

You have a small compresser usually mounted under the hood and a air line runs back to the rear end. When you what to lock the rear you just push a button mounted in the cab and it locks the rear. When your done off-road you push the button and it unlocks for street use. Best of both worlds.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I forgot, ARB has a front locker for 2500's also. So when your off-road you can lock f&r axles.
  7. ntbush83

Alright awesome thanks for the help. I have an air compressor already for my train horn set up. You think that will work if I were to get the air locker? Also couple more questions ha. You think a 4.27 setup sounds alright? and if I were to get a ring and pinion kit could I install it myself?
  8. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member

Go with 4.56 youll be happier in the long run.
  9. silveradotrailblazer

If I remmember they don't make 4.27's for your truck. Have to go with 4.10's or 4.56's. If your going to run 33's than 4.10's, run 35's than 4.56's. Can't tell you for sure about the t/horn compresser, I would think it would work. Setting up axle gear sets is a art in itself. If you have never set up gear sets than it can be VERY EXPENSIVE. Talk to some local people or ask the gear companies if they have some local recommended shops. Take your time and do your homework.
  10. ntbush83

Thanks for all the help. Yeah like hundojoe said I may go ahead with the 4.56 since I may get 35's one day. I do a lot of long highway driving back and forth from college so will 4.56 make it harder on my truck if the rpm's are a little higher?