1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Where to drill through the firewall

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by pamessina13, Jul 26, 2012.

1. pamessina13

pamessina13 New Member

Hi guys,

This may be a stupid question but where can I run a power cable for my amp in my 2006 silverado z71. In my old truck they ran it through that electrical bundle next to the master cylinder but I can't get a wire through in the new truck. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
  2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Here is what ya do! Lay under your dash on the drivers side. You'll see a module toward the back of your ebrake. There will be a cover on it. Remove the cover then remove the mod from its bracket. Next you will see a grommet about 1 1/2" in diameter with a tiny little harness going through it. This is where you want to poke through. To poke through it you have to first dig a piece of the rubber grommet out, stick a flat head screw driver in the grommet and dig out the round inner piece of the grommet. Now you're left with the grommet itself which is softer. Take a razor and just cut a little slit in the grommet, run a poker rod through the grommet, tape your wire on and pull the wire through. You can get massive wire through here so feeding an amp will be small potatoes. Any questions just ask!
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Dont be afraid to put a little liquid dishwashing soap on the wires as you feed them through, when its wet it'll help the wire slide easier and when it dries it'll help seal any small gaps.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I hate that rubber piece -- because it's super thick and hard to carve out a piece -- but it's exactly where I passed my amp wiring through the firewall, as well.
  5. zigger215

You remove that thick piece and throw it away. That's the trick
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Heh, I carved a new hole in it and continued to use it. Since you threw yours away what did you use to seal up the extra space in the grommet? I had considered doing that with expanding foam but was unconvinced about the water-tightness of the seal.
  7. zigger215

It's a double grommet. A removable thick piece and a permanent thinner piece. That hole stats sealed.
  8. pamessina13

pamessina13 New Member

Thanks for the How to guide, it worked out great, my amp is all wired up! the thick rubber piece has a slit in it so its easy to put both wires in it without cutting it up.