Where to end the tail pipe(s)

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Apr 23, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I enjoy driving with the windows down. All the time. Even opening the rear glass. I know on the K5s they roll down into the tailgate... awesomely jelous of that.

But, the exhaust is pretty ripe when I do that... clearly the catt. has gone bad. but that’s not the point

point is I’m going to get new exhaust as my next "thing" for the truck and was wondering how you may have roughed it to avoid smelling it and possibly dyeing like the kid from "buck wild" did....
    did you go duel or single? Where did it end? Etc.

It’s a big problem with our trucks because the ass end is so big, exhaust and dust is just drawn there and stays in an "eddy" in wind tunnel testing

2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I dont have a blazer... but I like the exhaust to exit to the side right behind the rear tires. My main reasoning is that I like to here it.... and its pretty cool when it echos of other vehicles when they pass you...:)))

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Ive had a few square body Suburbans and Blazers over the years and like yourself I enjoy running wth the windows down, I used to install exhaust systems that would exit on the side, preferably in front of the rear tire but shorter Blazers can sometimes be hard to get the exit there so sometimes Id have it exit after the rear tire but out the side.
    Blazers really depended on model yr, if you didnt have to have a cat it was easier to get the pipes bent in front of the tire.

4. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

Single exhaust, behind the wheel. Dual Exhaust behind the wheel angled out. That way if you tow anything your not baking what your towing.

5. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

The 99 has duals angled behind the right rear tire - sounds good, looks good, smells good.

The 75 Jimmy and 80's Blazers were straight out the back - sounded great, looked great, went faster to clear the fumes.
    Of course, the Jimmy's roof came off, so plenty of ventilation. I'm sure I've sucked in plenty of vapors over the years, and it hasn't affected me at all.

I'm sure I've sucked in plenty of vapors over the years, and it hasn't affected me at all.:eek:h:

6. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

yeah thats where mine is right now. back corner of the truck pointing down.
    i thought about the front of the rear tire...would be cool, but then it would hang lower than the frame... if i get high centered it could rip it off, or pinch the exhaust shut!
    probably best to leave it as is then.... thanks!

I had a jeep that dumped right before the axle for a while... when i needed to haul lumber it smelled with the lift gate open, and when i went offroading/camping it blasted up dust lol XD