1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Where were you on 9/11/01??? A day to remember..... September 11 2001!

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by Enkeiavalanche, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have told this story before and I will again. As one of the few members on this site that lives about 30 mins away from where the trade centers once stood. That day I was in Waldwick NJ picking up a customers car. As I sat in my 98 Tahoe at the time watching a DVD My customer pulled in to the lot and asked me if I heard the news? I turned on the TV tuner in my truck and saw it all unfolding.. [​IMG] We did not know what caused it yet so I just took his car down to the shop in Paramus. I could see the smoke in the sky. At work we had a wall of TV's that all our eyes were glued on. As time went by we saw lots of emergency cars and trucks heading up Rt4 towards the GW Bridge. At about 9am we heard the news about what happend. We closed the store about an hour later. [​IMG]
  2. FergusonT

FergusonT Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I was in high school at the time, and I just walked in the class room at our tech center and the TV was on showing one tower burning, and then a few seconds later saw the other plane hit the other tower. Talk about a lot of questions goin on in your mind all at once.....
  3. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I too was in High School and the teacher turned on the class room TV and then we saw the 2nd plane hit the tower. I will never forget that moment in life.
  4. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I worked in mid-town, near Radio City Music Hall back then and a guy who worked for me came in and said a plane hit the WTC. As we got more news, we started hearing about people who had family downtown. One woman had a baby in daycare on the first floor of WTC. Scary. She didn't hear for a long time, but her son was ok. Another girl's fiancee worked in the building, and she didn't hear from him for awhile. Fortunately, he made it out ok. In midtown there was no way to tell what was going on. There was no way to work, and we only had lousy reception on a tv with no antenna in a conference room to get any news. After awhile some of the team left to find a way home, but I was hearing that Grand Central was closed and trains weren't running.

I had a friend who worked in the 30's and was ok, but had to get sprayed to clear off any chemicals coming through the downtown area. He knew a couple guys who worked in the building that didn't make it. My wife, who I didn't know back then, worked for Citibank in Tribeca and saw the second plane hit the towers. She said it was mayhem and she had no idea what to do except get out of the area. I feel bad for anyone who experienced any of that. The only thing I saw, when I eventually left the building was a tower of smoke in the distance. The eerie thing was to walk through NYC with no cars, and people everywhere just wandering. If you've ever been to NYC, then you know that the streets are always alive with traffic. The hotels were kicking everyone out and the stores all shut down. There was nothing to do and nowhere to go and lots of people trying to decide what to do.

As I got near Grand Central I saw a fire engine go by and the firemen looked like they'd seen hell. I felt for those guys. The following days we started to hear more about people who knew someone who worked in the WTC. We had an 80's Camaro in the train parking lot that sat there for at least a week afterwards. We also had armed National Guardsmen at the train station and just about anywhere you went in the city. It was a very surreal time.
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

6. 09Z71BLKBST

09Z71BLKBST Rockstar 100 Posts

It was my senior year of High school and we saw it on the news... I will never forget and that is the reason i joined the Air Force, and also why i am currently deployed overseas!
  7. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That day I was in the carpool drop off line with my mom and sister. All of a sudden my mom gets a phone call and pulls out of the drop off line and goes and parks. She told us grandma had called and the world trade center had been hit by a plane. I was to young to know what the WTC was at the time but we all bowed our heads and prayed together. I went into class and not but a half hour after being in class we saw the second plane hit the towers. A morning I will never forget.

Also I would like to say thanks to 09Z71BLKBST for what you do and the sacrifices you have made.
  8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I was also a Senior in Highschool, and walked into Homeroom while the second plane hit and just after they made an announcement of what was unfolding. There really werent any details, and everything was just kinda hidden at the time. As to my Joining the Army in 02 after i graduated it was a small reason. but never in my wildest dreams (nor in the Publics dreams) would I end up doing 2 tours in Iraq.
  9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I was sitting in my livingroom catching up on the news by watching cnn,and couldn't believe what i saw.I just missed the 1st plane hit the towers but caught everything on tv after that.
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well I just got home from Ground Zero.. I saw the lights and all the people all around.. I have to find a way to post them here or can someone please send me a email so I can send you the pics to post.. Thanks Glenn