Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Wheres my antifreez going

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bobby1021, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Bobby1021

Bobby1021 New Member

im loosing a gallon of antifreez a weak and i have no trace of it leaking on the ground. ive checked my oil and its fine.

2. 07silverado07

07silverado07 Rockstar 100 Posts

im no expert on this but maybe thru your intake? i know some intakes have water jackets in them

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

1st thing I'd probably do would be to put a pressure tester on it (Autozone even has one as a loaner, other parts stores may, as well). Most external leaks can be found this way. Some external leaks are slow enough that the antifreeze evaporates off of the hot engine before it can show up on the ground. A pressure tester allows you to find those leaks.

4. jedepsub

jedepsub Rockstar

Also check your exhaust pipe, for extra moisture or smell.

5. jplyler

jplyler New Member

Pull your plugs and look for a greenish tint your heads could be leaking i have pressure tested mine all great pressures and resealed the heads and intake and im still burning coolant bad but more then likely you could be burning it but check for the greenish tint on the plugs to see if it is in the cylinders

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You have a a vortec motor, they are notorious for the intake gasket going. If it is do ALL your major gaskets. You will have the it ripped apart anyway. It will save you money and time down the road to to them all at once.

7. black-ltz

black-ltz New Member

^ What he said. That era of Vortec motors were notorious for eating up intake gaskets. I had a 97 and a 98 which both went thru 3 each in the time I owned them. It is very hard to see what the problem is as it seems to evaporate or something as you drive around. But you can be pretty much assured that it is the intake gaskets.