Wheres the perfect place to live??

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by the phantom, Oct 28, 2013.

1. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Ive been thinking lately how much I hate winter time.. I dont like the cold and quite honestly sick of getting ready for it every year.. My woman and I spend lots of money and time on our flower beds and landscaping only to enjoy it for 5 months a year and then most of it dies, goes dormant, or just doesnt look good at all. Ive lived here near buffalo for my whole life and have traveled south but havent been west of the mississippi at all. I was trying to determine if I was wanting to pack up and leave where would I go?? I wondering if there is a perfect place. well this is what I would be looking for if such a place exists..

I dont want to see no snow... If I do it would be a rarety and probably only be at night and like I said RARE!!
    Cant be at risk for out of control fires...like forest fires or the devastation thats seen in California,Nevada,Texas, and even Colorado and some of the other surrounding states..
    I dont mind the heat but the humidity that makes it impossible to enjoy anything outdoors is out so the far south like Florida,Alabama, Louisiana ect. is out.
    Wouldnt want to be in high risk area for Tornadoes and Hurricanes so the east side of the carolinas is out and the states in the plains like around Kansas is out too..

Is there any place in the US that has basically no chance for natural disaster?? And is like 50-80 degrees all year long so we can enjoy landscaping and not have to get ready for cold..BBBRRRRRRRRR watch our vehicles rot away in 10 years from salt.

I dont know but if there is such a place that a 50k year job can support nicely, Im looking at a 5 to 10 year plan to move there..
  2. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

Lower AZ, Scottsdale area!
  3. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Dry heat there isn't it?? Might have to look into it. Dust storms maybe..Ha I will never have my cake and eat it too.:lol:
  4. poncho62

poncho62 Member

I am in the same boat, onlya bit further north in Ontario, Canada......so, I cant get much better than this as I am not allowed to move south. I have been to Arizona a few times and must agree. It is great there during the winter....I understand it gets pretty warm in the summer though.
  5. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

Yeah its dry heat, but almost every house has AC and a pool. However, your garden, may be a little different from in NY. I have been both south and west and would say AZ is better.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

In addition to AZ, you may want to consider So California....it can be affordable if you live inland far enough. Or, Las Vegas if you want to be near some action.
  7. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All New Member

Texas!!! A lot of variety. Beaches, hills, desert, forest, etc etc.
  8. the phantom

the phantom New Member

So. Cal would be nice but its too much like NY Gun laws suck, taxes are high, and emissions for vehicles are the worst.
    I have considered Vegas ... Im just not sure really..

Texas...Hmmmmm I dont know.. I know the gun laws are relaxed, taxes low and economy is the one of the best in the nation right now.... Might have something there...As long as I can find a spot that my house wont burn down from wildfire..I definitely would be living 30-40 miles from any city.. small village ok though.
  9. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

You're definitely right with those points...I lived in CA for 12 years.

Vegas could be fun if you like to gamble every now and then or want to see a great show....and it'll probably still be reasonably priced a few years down the road.
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

There is a reason that so many people live in socal. The weather is nice all year compared to other places and you can get to extreme heat or mountains and snow in just a few hours. Very expensive though.

Northern Arizona and New Mexico are the same. You can get snow in the winter and nice not too hot summers. Plus you can drive to snow, etc.

Dfw and South don't get much snow at all and can be brutal in the summer. Often over 100 for weeks and snow often just a couple of days per year. Far North Texas and Oklahoma get colder and an increased chance of snow every 50 miles north you keep going ... until somewhere in Kansas City or Nebraska where you always get snow.
  11. Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All New Member

Wildfires happen way more often in Cali. But there is plenty of room in Texas where they don't happen. North Texas is nice and has a little cooler weather.
  12. the phantom

the phantom New Member

well as I climb to the 20 year mark in my career I would like to use my work experience to relocate myself somewhere nice in weather but it seems I will sacrifice something.. First thing is leaving some family and most all my lifelong friends behind. secondly is I dont want to move where its completely flat and brown... I need some variable terrain and green trees shrubs ect.. Anything above 40-45 degrees in winter would be exceptable but this -10 for a couple weeks in January and 2 feet of snow most of Jan-Mar. is just getting old.. At 41 years old and pretty much half way to dead I figured time to switch gears here soon and live the other half of my life where I want too.
  13. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 New Member

Come to Southwest Michigan. Our snows here have been pretty mild and the summers are gorgeous. Not too hot but when it does you have Lake Michigan to cool you down.
  14. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

I live just south of the north ga mountains and love it we get amazing weather here. I just bought 420 acres in franklin county and can't wait to build my compound. Everywhere you live will have a disaster of some sort that can come threw. I've been in earthquakes in 4 countries and lost my college house to the tornado in Tuscaloosa. Just find somewhere u love and go don't worry bout natural disasters. You can't stop them
  15. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I have a friend that moved from SE Michigan to Scottsdale, AZ a few years ago. He loves it. Although he says "Dry heat, my a$$" It is freaking hot. He also said that it is very expensive to live there. SE Michigan is not bad, it can get hot, we had a week of about 95 degrees this summer. The snow has been pretty mild the last few years. Heck, I don't know if we ever got more than 5" in one snow fall (I think that 5" happened one time last year) All the others were an inch here an inch there . I think that we had a total of 31". Which was like 15-20" less than normal. I actually prefer more snow, if it is going to be 15 degrees outside then it should be snowing also!
  16. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

Hawaii has beautiful weather all year long.
  17. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Michigan is out for me..Ive been there for safety meetings from the previous co. I worked for and Definitely may be headed to Silver Lake Dunes next year with my Honda 250R. I know you said mild winter but I want NOOO winter.lol If im relocating Im going where its warm. Ive worked outside all winter long for the last 20 years and also Im sick of salt eating my vehicles away.. My 10 year old Escalade is just shot from salt.. I dont mind the heat as much as humidity.. It gets in the low 90's here for a week or 2 in summer and I love it. I mean its nice to get into the ac but I have no problem working in it. Now would I want it for months on end?. no not really but I would take it over winter any day. I had snowmobiles and its really not entertainment to me to just snowmobile bar to bar which most of my buddies do and also at night and im just a deer target on machines at night..LOL Hit 2 on my rocket.. Not into skiing although I do know how and did ski as I grew up (And even can get in for free whenever I want since my stepfather is a manager at a ski resort)
    Hate shoveling my porch and sidewalk off after working in it all day and have to come home from work get in the truck and plow... Oh yeah cant forget getting 10-12 cord of firewood cut split deliver to my house in my dump truck, dump it, stack it. Clean the chimney out uugghhhh the list goes on..... JUST SICK OF IT!!!! OOOPPPSSS sorry for the venting guys:grrrrrr::sign0023::lol:
  18. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member

Southeast is your best bet IMHO
  19. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I was in GA last year like 2nd week in November and the weather was nice there. unfortunately we were only there 2 days to pack up my girlfriends dads ashes and pack up what we could and tow his car back to NY. Wasnt all that pleasant of an experience.. Maybe western South Carolina is close to what Im looking for. I would have to do some job research and see what my experience would bring me in for income..
  20. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member

Agreed here, IMO it has to be NC, TN, or SC, but second thought so many Northerners migrate down south you should just stay up there :lol: