1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which code scanner to buy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by grinner, Jun 26, 2013.

1. grinner

grinner New Member

I need to diagnose my mom's 2000 Malibu and need to be able to use the same code scanner on my 05 chevy truck. I want cheap and reliable. Will the Actron OBDII code scanner work for my needs?
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

OBDII codes have been in use since the 1980's so any OBDII reader will work on any vehicle built since then, AFAIK.
  3. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member 100 Posts

Pre 96 is OBD1 and the connectors and programs change between manufacturers, OBDII is 96 and later and can be scanned with the same scanner. Now cheap scanners may only do powertrain and not ABS or SRS etc. i would get a laptop based scanner so you can update and use it on more vehicles. I have a SnapOn Ethos and its fine fir most things, you can get them used on ebay for like 450$ some times. Do not buy a MT2500 as they are too outdated to really have any purpose.
  4. grinner

grinner New Member

ok thanks fellas
  5. steved

steved Former Member 100 Posts

Harbor Freight...I have one and it works as good or better than my Actron. It was also cheaper.
  6. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have the snap on mt2500 as mentioned above, and I love it. $125.00 with bidirectional function up to 2005. Abs, bcm, ECM, etc. it's all I use.