Which Code Scanner?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by joetom5, Mar 1, 2009.

1. joetom5

joetom5 New Member

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado crew cab 1500. 4.8 engine with auto. The check engine light came on the other day. Took it to AutoZone and they could not get their scanner to work. Took it to another parts store and they said that it was too new of a vehicle for their scanner. I checked the fuse box and did find the fuse for the lighter had been blown and replaced it. Went back to Autozone and they tried two different scanners and still could not get anything. One of them at least lit up. I have been told that their scanner may not have been CanObd2, just Obd2. I want to buy my own but want to make sure that the one I buy will work with my particular truck. Any suggestions? I need to get this CEL taken care of.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

JoeTom

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Auto X-Ray is Can ready, but they are on the expensive side. ($200-$600) Actron is the brand that auto zone carries, they are CAN updateable. You purchase one for say $75, and then you go on the internet and purchase the updated CAN program for an additional fee. Summit Racing sells a ton of the CAN capable scanners, which will also do the OBD I, and OBD II systems. It all depends on how much you want to spend, hope this helps..........AMY

3. joetom5

joetom5 New Member

How can I tell if my truck has to use a CAN capable scanner. I am also trying to find out if there is something wrong with my tuck to cause it to not give codes.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I forgot to mention one other scanner but I am not familiar with this one, it is from Equus 3140 model which sells for $290 which is reasonable. Here is the catch it only comes with the OBD II cables for GM, FORD, and CHRSYLER, you have to purchase seperately any OBD I cables that you might need. The Auto X-Ray is what I have, and it came with all of the cables and will check all of my vehicles. I can also upgrade mine into the CAN program if I want, but I have no need for it right now.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/at...ment.php?attachmentid=2066&stc=1&d=1235949072

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Joe,

CAN stands for Controller Area Network. Most new cars are using the CAN Protocol. If your Check Engine Light is on you do indeed have a Trouble Code in your system. Here's a link to a very reasonable scanner. It will scan all OBDII systems including CAN.
    http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.asp?id=197&sortsid=523&sorts=Diagnostic Tools
    This tool is called the V Checker. It comes from China. I ordered one using PayPal and I received it very quickly. The cost is only$69.

Jim

6. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I just recently got a scanner its the

[​IMG]

Autel MS409 MaxiScan OBDII/EOBD Scan Tool
    Retrieves generic and manufacturer specific codes
    Turns off Check Engine Light (MIL), clears codes and resets monitors
    Displays monitor and I/M readiness status (emissions)
    Large easy-to-read backlit LCD screen
    Supports CAN (Controller Area Network) and all other current OBD-II protocols

Its really easy to use and comes with a USB cable so you can update the scanner as the models change and it is setup to read european coes also. The Autel web site has the free updates and the scanner comes with a CD with the software also.

It shows the code number and what it means in plain english so you dont have to look it up in a book also has memory in case you forget what the code was.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MS409-MaxiScan-OBDII-EOBD/dp/B001LHW9YG"]Amazon.com: Autel MS409 MaxiScan OBDII/EOBD Scan Tool: Automotive[/ame]
    List Price: $114.99
    Price: $79.99 & eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime
    You Save: $35.00 (30%)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  7. Tunnelmotor99

Tunnelmotor99 Rockstar

This is the one I use at work if I just need a quick code read or readiness status:
    http://www.automotive-diagnostic-tools.com/Launch-Creader-V-OBDII-Auto-Scanner-p/lau-301050049.htm

Some manufacturer-specific code definitions are not in the tool's memory so you will have to look them up. It is not self powered so it only works when plugged into the socket. It shows a lot of live data plus it will graph the data. A very good tool for the money, it does almost everything my $650 Mac scantool will.

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

which code scanner

OTC has a enhanced scanner #3498. It does obd1 & ll, comes with all the cables and it also scans transmissions. Alot of scanners only do engine scans. USA toolwarehouse had these on sale for $234.28. Normal price is $334.95.

9. Thomas Bennett

Thomas Bennett New Member

I have a Scan Gauge Two,
    The integrated Trip Computer provides realtime feedback while simultaneously tracking three sets of trip data. The Digital Gauges give you realtime data for your vehicle and the built-in Scan Tool allows you to read trouble codes and diagnose potentially expensive problems before they get out of hand.
    Priced about $169.00

The Ultra Compact
    3-in-one Automotive Computer

Trip Computer - Digital Gauges - Scan Tool

http://scangauge.com/

10. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Thanks for all the great info.