Which Evap Canister Solenoid and/or Valve to Buy?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by wmkess, May 17, 2013.

1. wmkess

wmkess Member

I've decided to finally address my check engine light and code P0449. I haven't messed with it yet to know if it is the solenoid or just a clog but I would like feedback on which parts to buy.

Here's one ACDelco part from Amazon which is what I'm considering buying...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OVKXTI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here's another part which fits my truck which includes both the canister/solenoid assembly plus the purge vent...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S2SKIY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    It's actually $9 cheaper than the one above so maybe I just need to go with it.

Both from above need this wiring harness as well...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055B121U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

What are the opinions on these and are the Amazon prices the best? I'm a prime member btw so free shipping on all of them.

Also, is the ACDelco part # 20995472 only for NBS trucks? Because the full kit for it is much cheaper than the others and looks to include hoses and a mounting bracket. My truck is a 2005 Silverado 1500 which I know the products I linked above fit.
    [h=1][/h]

2. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I am wrestling with this myself. I have a colorado and 3 silverados that need them so I tried to research them and it seems like unless you pull the number directly off the bottom of the truck or go to the dealer you cant tell. Gmpartsdirect does not show partnumbers for me and it seems like you can make it so and version can fit multiple models with different mounts/hoses/ harnesses. As for the harness it is to switch to or from a square to round connector type on the solenoid itself. Im just going tonwait til i can see the part on the truck the next time i see any of them before i order one.

3. wmkess

wmkess Member

I may hold off myself. There is zero affect on my performance and I really just want the CEL off. I plan on doing some work on the truck over the weekend though, so I'll probably slide under there and take some pictures of the connectors so I can compare them to the ones on the replacement ones I'm looking at.

4. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Thats my plan. Dorman sells just the valve itself if you can find out which one is the right one. Note the bracket slot locations, hose type ( if it is plastic molded on or not), and connector shape. I know for the colorado a hummer h3 vent is only like $40 and can be made to fit so there are tons of options and the prices range from $20-180 so do some homework and save some dough.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Very easy fix takes about 1 hour if you can remove your extra tire and get under the truck and Parts from the dealer were about $65.00 and $25 IF you need a Plug Adp.. I have a whole write up and how to somewhere on here..

6. wmkess

wmkess Member

I actually have your post on it bookmarked! My main dilemma is finding out if the parts you used will fit my 2005 because they are much cheaper but are listed for 2007 and up models. Since the fix isn't necessary waiting a couple of more weeks to save $20 is totally worth it lol.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Hope it's useful for ya....

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

p0449 is the evap canister vent valve DTC . when the PCM commands this to operate it checks the voltage at the solenoid. the voltage is not correct so you get this code. could be wiring /connector . most find that the solenoid coil is open. when you remove this , place 12 volts across the input and see if it clicks. if not then you know its bad. these are not cheap. very common coil failures...

some have used other vehicle type GM parts for this purpose to save some , on the cost.

9. JohnK

JohnK New Member

Had to tackle the dreaded P0449 issue on my 2006 Silverado. I had replaced the Evap Vent Valve assy (canister and solenoid) about a year ago, it fixed the problem. Well, it recently came back on, tried replacing the Evap Vent Valve again, check engine light was still on. I found out that there is also a Purge Valve solenoid that will also send error code P0449. Picked up the Duralast purge valve for $35 from Autozone and it cleared the error. FYI - the purge valve is located under the engine cover in the front.

10. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

normally it is the vent valve . the intake mounted purge valve is less of a problem but now getting this old looks like this may be more common with these vehicles.

since the charcoal canister is down low next to the fuel tank the canister damaging this valve is not an issue like some other GM vehicles made in the 90's.