1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

which gas is better to use on my 05' silverado??

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by jesus2324, Nov 18, 2010.

1. jesus2324

jesus2324 New Member

hello everyone, my question today is i was wondering which gas would be better to use in my 2005 silverado truck, any help will be appriciated thankyou:happy:
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

reccomended is 87 octane so that really will be cheapest and is what is reccomended.
  3. jesus2324

jesus2324 New Member

thankyou murdog94 for responding, for someone reason i always thought the number higher than the 87 octane would be better for my car
  4. ahm1127

ahm1127 New Member 100 Posts

I would not use more than what is recommended for regular use. Sometimes I step up but only for towing a heavy load for a long trip.
  5. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member 100 Posts

well if you have a programmer, i recammend 91-93 octain. it costs more, but runs a little cleaner, its better for you engine and it will increase your milage... with a tuner it will increase your MPG instanly with out a tuner it will take some time for your computer to adjust... but i get 4-5MPG better on primium fuel not to mention the power gain
  6. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside New Member 100 Posts

110 octane, or 90% nitromethane 10% methanol alcohol...but 89 is probably your best bet..
  7. MPC-Silverado

haah yeah my car runs on 116 leaded gas... but thats not cost efficient
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If your truck has the stock tune than 87 is fine. If you can find a gas station that sells non-ethonal than use it. We have a gas station near us that sells non-ethanol, its more money but we use it in all our trucks and they run better and get alot better gas mileage, worth paying the extra.
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

x3....On what....Murdog94....Silvertrailblazer on going with....87 Octane....

Too many people drive around with medium or premium gas in their tank when they just don't need to. If your owner's manual says "regular", it means it. Putting mid-grade or premium in is just wasting money. Why? Unless you have a high-compression engine which could be prone to detonation (pinking / pinging), you have absolutely no need for high-octane petrol. The only thing that higher octane gives you is less probability of detonation. In high-performance Vehicles with high-compression engines, that means allowing the engine management system to work at peak efficiency but for probably 75% of you, your Truck will quite happily run on the cheapest petrol you can put in it. Not an improvement in fuel economy per said, but a money saving at least.

1 person likes this.
  10. MPC-Silverado

i guess i would have to agree without a tuner you wont get much if any higher MPG... with a tuner a reprograms the tune on your computer to run on the fuel it tells you too (mine says 91-93) then i get higher MPG however i pay more for it... in the end i about break even... but i still run the primium for the higher performance and qualty fuel...