Which intake/exhaust system do i want!? Silverado 1500

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by SouthEastBeast, Mar 13, 2013.

1. SouthEastBeast

SouthEastBeast Member ROTM Winner

Hi All!! It's finally that time again, I haven't made any mods to the ride since mid- 2012! She is desperately in need of a new intake and exhaust system. I am reaching out to everyone with an opinion or personal experience, both are welcome!

First off, I'm assuming there are systems that work with my stock computer so I'm not going to have idiot lights on because of the changes, etc. is that right? Has anyone run into performance problems after adding a particular brand/type system? My approach is pretty straight forward, I don't mind spending a little extra if the performance gains "are really" going to be there. I'm not out to shop for a "sound". I want performance. I have no idea where to start- and I didnt see any relevant threads when I used the key word search so please help push me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

There are numerous threats on here. Allot depends on how much you want to spend... I really like my setup... keep in mind to really reap the rewards of a performance exhaust you would require a programmer to adjust everything from fuel mixture to shift points.

3. sierra11

sierra11 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have to agree with [MENTION=52759]TimTom64b[/MENTION] you can get an intake and exhaust but to tie it altogether you need a custom tune. I first got a K&N drop in and AirAid MIT then got my tune. I couldn't really feel much or see any gains with just the intake but after the tune I was able to tell easily any gains.

4. 2011laserblue

2011laserblue Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

If you're really shopping for power, I'd look into banks - I know that they spend hours and hours testing to make sure that their products really do work, and with no problems. They make "power pack systems" that come with an intake, exhaust system, programmer (not a fancy one) and headers - which would be cheaper at the end to buy said parts at different times (like me). Check out youtube for some sound clips - its a very deep growl - I've never heard anything like it. Here is a link:

http://bankspower.com/products/show/343/10

I'm not a huge fan of their "dual exhaust" - simply because I don't like 4 tips coming out of the back, however, I'm sure you can get the other tips.

Hope this came in handy!

5. kinson33

kinson33 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

X2 timtomb

tuner ties the mods together, not going to get a "seat of the pants" improvement without that. I'd be interested to hear from someone who says the felt those gains with just exhaust and intake bolt on, and ask what they bought.

Best improvement I've had was with my old 4.7 dodge, manual shift. Got +2mpg