1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which mirror would you choose?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Necred, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Necred

Necred Member

00 Z71, backing out of my parking I broke my chrome backed drivers mirror ...I have found (2) after market black tow manual telescoping with power adjustable mirrors $100, or a drivers power chrome OEM used $50 or pair of used power chrome OEM for $60...I don't tow often therefore I don't know that they would be worth the trouble to swap out both mirrors. what say you?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Need, or looks. If you don't need the tow mirrors, and you like the looks of the chrome oem mirrors, then oem is the way to go.

I don't tow often either, so I don't need the tow mirrors, but I don't like the chrome mirrors, if I had a shot, I'd go with the tows.

ps, not a lot of work to change 'em.
  3. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member 100 Posts

Nobody can tell you which mirror is right for you. Only you know what you need, or what will work best. You say you don't tow much...if that NEVER includes a wide trailer that prevents your side view, you have zero need for pullout mirrors. Also, any mirror(s) you need is available at ebay, at about 15% of dealer price, and maybe half of normal used price, if you don't mind buying stuff from China. I replaced my chrome-back power mirror on my '01 for $32, including shipping, and it is a perfect match.

Lastly, most people find that once they get used to backing into parking places, they find it much easier, safer, and less stressful. Pulling straight out into any traffic lane is much safer than backing out into a traffic lane. When you back into a parking spot, you do not have to worry about not seeing oncoming traffic, you can focus more on what you are doing. (lot of words to express something learned by experience...)
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

I like the look of the tow mirrors better... looks tougher. The downside is they create a big blind spot... takes a little to be used to.
  5. truc.karl

truc.karl New Member

If you don't tow often, it's a practical decision to get the chrome oem. Besides your old mirror is a chrome also.
  6. Skippy

Skippy Member 100 Posts

I agree, go with the OEM. Besides, you can always grab some aftermarket tow mirror attachments to the outside of your mirrors. I've got a set that I simply keep in my travel trailer. When I go pick up the trailer, I pull them out and attach them to the mirrors (they just slide over, like these ones: http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-10900-Ch...091&sr=8-3&keywords=tow mirrors for silverado ) The one's shown are like $45... Mine are just like those. Love em.

This way, you get the best of both worlds. Sharp OEM for driving around, and extra distance from the cab when towing.

Cheers,

Skippy
  7. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Mirrors are overrated, I say ditch the mirrors and have your wife watch behind you. :rofl:
  8. Necred

Necred Member

That's a great idea, Skippy...thanx..I passed on tow mirrors,,im looking for used OEM...I did take off my adj button & clean the contact, it made a world of diff in response...I looked at one from 99 Sierra but guy couldn't get it to work so I passed but maybe it was his switch...Would it be possible to swap out the broken casted pivot in my mirror for one on another mirror, if so I could get the one off 99 & make swap.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, will a mirror that is also heated connect to my power source?
  9. wmkess

wmkess New Member

Not OP, but I have been considering getting tow mirrors for my 1/2 ton. I pull a medium sized livestock trailer which they would help with and I really like the look as well.

Is the blind spot really that bad? I've read reviews where they claimed they were better than factory for everyday driving. Or where you referring to the ones without the separate blind spot mirror on the bottom of the tow mirror?
  10. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

I have the ones with the blind spot mirror... the blind spot is not so much the function of the mirror themselves but when pulling to a corner and looking to the right... the mirror can interfere with seeing approaching from that direction.