1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which Mod Next?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by sstoner911, Dec 21, 2008.

1. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just added a Airraid intake and Superchips Flashpaq tuner for my truck. It was suggested that I add a throttle body spacer....A shop here can add a Flowmaster Muffler keeping the stock pipe for $120.00.

Has anyone replaced the muffler only? Does the stock pipe need to be changed? Is the throttle body spacer worth it for a 4.8 V8?
  2. 04blackgmc

04blackgmc Member

TB spacers are worthless and a waste of money that can be used towards worthwhile mods..

U really wont gain much of anything by just replacing the muffler (just sound)

some gains are seen by changing out to a better muffler but gains are also seen from Nice mandrel bent piping (unlike most factory stuff)
  3. jiujitsu

jiujitsu Rockstar

ya i just put cat back flowmaster 44's and i lost a tiny bit off the line and gained on mid and top it seems mandrel bends are important tho r exhaust is only as good as its smallest opening
  4. ya i agree with the other guys, TB spacers are basically worthless
    and adding just a muffler wont do much but give you a better sound.
    if you do plan on adding only a muffler though, i would suggest buying one online and then bringing it to your shop to get installed, that way you'll save some money.
  5. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Tb are really not worth the small gain.

An exaust will have less constriction than your factory muffler and will help a littel, and sound good too, I agree w above the bigger the pipe the better,
    True dual exaust will be the way to go from a perfomance standpoint, it gives the most gains (which are nothing to brag about) :neutral:

I would reccomed a forced air incudtion for your new air intake its a cheap "mod"
  6. benhartholt

benhartholt Rockstar

Thats bull****. TB Spacers are definitely worth the money! I put one on my 5.3 and you can definitely notice the difference off the line! It also makes a whistling noise at around 2,000 rpms which sounds nice. They are definitely worth the money!
  7. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

The only thing a throttle body spacer is good for is if you have a body lift and your cold air intake won't fit right anymore. I had one on my 97 Suburban and didn't notice anything other than a little bit different sound and a little less money in my wallet. It came in handy though when after my body lift I added my K&N intake.
  8. benhartholt

benhartholt Rockstar

Alright well I noticed the results anyways even though it is a decent amount of cash to put out. It's not so much the performance gain you get even but it allows your engine to idle higher and be faster off the start. I like mine anyways!
  9. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well, I don't have any experience with throttle body spacers, but I do have a muffler replacement. I did have a noticeable difference in performance. Nothing extreme, but noticeable. I agree that a cat-back system with mandrel bent pipes will give you an even better gain, but a muffler replacement does help.