1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

which muffler??

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Jordan, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Ok i am bout to order the o2 simulators so i can remove cats without throwin codes. After i do that im goin to put a muffler on, but there are so many to choose from. the things im lookin for in one is to give it a good deep sound but i still want it to be plenty loud, i just dont want that popping noise since i dont have cats. then i also want one to give some backpressure so it wont kill my torque.
    After doin that im gonna try to get a custome tune from pcm forless.com so maby that will help.

So anybody that has any experience with this or knows anything bout them, please help. Thanx
  2. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just wondering why your deciding to remove the cats?
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Removing the cats is gonna take away back pressure and hurt torque. Not to mention no matter where you live and whether or not you have emissions testing removing the cats is a federal crime your commiting that you probably shouldnt be announcing over the internet for the world to see.
    Placing test pipes on wont increase your horsepower. Cats used now days are very efficient and dont hurt performance like they did in the 70's and 80's, manufacturers have done a lot of R&D and in some cases increased horsepower output on engines using cats and emissions equip.
    Just find a new muffler, if your looking for performance try regearing, a Supercharger, or a Turbo.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would say leave the cat, or if your hell-bent get a magnaflow hi-flo cat, like $60-$100 on ebay, and then a magnaflow exhaust, mellow with no cabin drone, but good sound on acceleration and WOT
  5. Jordan

Jordan New Member

hey, wel the reason im wantin to remove the cats is because im wantin it louder and i was told this would be bout the only way to get it any louder than what iv already got. i dont really want to remove the cats, but i do want it louder, im open for ideas!! :great:
  6. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Jordan- ever wonder WHY cats are actually on vehicles?
  7. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree with everyone on this one. Keep the cats, but if you really want to, get some high-flow cats. From what I hear, Flowmaster will make it the loudest. Talk with your local muffler shop and tell them what you are looking for. They will be able to tell you the best set up for what you are wanting. Plus, it will be legal :glasses:
  8. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

keep the cats ..keep it legal!
    and a dumped exaust will be louder than one w tips f.y.i.
  9. 06badZ71

06badZ71 New Member

i deff. agree with everyone else on this.. keep the cats..if your lookin for a loud and deep sound..for my setup all i did was take off my stock piping and muffler From the 2 into 1 flange after the cats and just ran straight pipe no muffler n i have a nice big slashcut tip coming out the side before the tire on the passanger side..That Baby Screaamss!!and it still growls n pures at u..i love the sound.. i did notice some lose in performance and throttle responce though..another suggestion i would say check out some true dual catback systems with some flowmaster super 44 mufflers..and you can even switch out ur headers for some performance headers..GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR TRUCK
  10. Jordan

Jordan New Member

Yea i guess il prolly just keep the cats and maby look at some high flow cats, but iv heard there pretty exspensive, il look. Thanx for the input everybody and il try to let ya know what i do.
    :glasses:
    if any body has some sound clips i wouldnt mind hearin them