1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which Nitto Terra Grapplers should I get?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by UpsetProps, Sep 1, 2013.

1. UpsetProps

UpsetProps Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hi guys, I haven't posted in a few months, but I have a question.

I am looking at replacing my Falkens with one of these sets of Nittos:

Nitto Terra Grappler AT : LT285/70R-17E1 126R B
    • Treadwear: N/A
    • Speed Rating: R
    • Load Range: E1

or

Nitto Terra Grappler AT : P285/70R-17 117S B

• Treadwear: 500
    • Traction: A
    • Temperature: B
    • Speed Rating: S
    • Load Range: SL

What is the main difference in these two? From what I can see it is the Speed and Load ratings.

I have a 1500 series Crew Cab. I don't pull a trailer very often.

Do you guys think the higher load rating model is worth it on a 1500?

Or would those be more recommended for an 2500+ ?

Any input is appreciated, as this is only the 2nd set of tires I have bought for a pickup.
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

When i got my Nittos i got the load range E
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What's your goal for getting these? Style, all-weather, snow & ice, durability?
  4. UpsetProps

Everything you listed.

The Falkens I have were great both on road and off road, dry or snow. However, they wore really fast, especially up front.

The Falkens have something like 40,000 miles at the very most and the front tires look like hockey pucks. The back are starting to lose enough tread that they slip in the rain when I take off quickly from a stop.

I do some light off-roading in the spring and summer. We also get some pretty bad winter weather up in Calgary, and I travel to Montana a lot in the winter too.
  5. UpsetProps

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  6. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I loved my Nittos...i traded my truck in with them on and i would say i had 20k on them...when these tires run out of life on my new truck,ill go back to the Nittos...no uneven wear in those 20k
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just about everyone who I've know with almost any type of nittos has lived them.
  8. UpsetProps

Thanks for the input guys. I'm heading to a tire shop today to inquire about some TOYO Open Country A/T's....since I can't seem to find them on any of my favorite tire websites.

Barring some incredible deal on the Toyo's in store, I will be picking up the Nitto's online soon.
  9. truc.karl

truc.karl New Member

I had both Terra Grapplers and Open Country AT's, and I can say that you can't go wrong with either of them.