1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

which programmer to get???(gas )

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Tj07classic, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Tj07classic

Tj07classic New Member

im thinking of getting a little more power out of my 5.3l gmc and i have been looking at programmers. can you guys tell me which one you have and the change and pros and cons from them. thanks for the help
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Hey TJ - I'm sure you'll probably get a ton of responses soon on this topic, as programmers are very controversial and many people choose programmers based on personal preferences, budget, etc. I'm partial to the Predator due to its custom programming capabilities at a reasonable price. I have also had the SuperChips, which I liked due to its simplicity and ease of programming; and I think it still does a great job.

While your waiting for additional responses, try entering "programmers" in the search box and read some of the current threads, as there are plenty. The information contained in those threads should get you grounded pretty quickly.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  3. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

ive got a wait4meperformance tune on my cobalt ss due to having a stage 2 new cams headers exhaust cold air on it. this by far i found was the best tune. I was going to buy it for my truck when i had the lift i ended up going with hypertech power programmer due to a buddy of mine owning a shop and i got a deal i could not turn down but i will be upgrading to the wait4me whwen i get the money.
  4. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

as far as options, data logging capabilities, quality of tunes, support, etc... you can't beat the diablosport predator/trinity...

dyno-developed preset tunes come on the unit... plus you have the option of getting custom tuning done for it... which you don't have with the others....

you can restore original backup at any time so that your ecm is set back to original stock factory programming whenever you go in for service work... then reinstall the tune afterwards... no having to send out your ecm to get programmed, sending it out to get re-programmed for any future updates, etc etc... it can all be done with custom tuning all via email...

any further questions, please feel free to contact me directly at diablo.help@gmail.com ....

;)
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 with the Diablo's.
  6. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I also support the DiabloSport Predator. I have one for my truck and it makes an amazing difference. I won't go into details on it, since 06MonteSS has already replied to this thread (he is our DiabloSport expert around here). If you want to know any more about it, I'm sure he would be glad to answer any questions you might have. I will say that it is an amazing machine though.
  7. Tj07classic

Tj07classic New Member

thank you all for the info, i will have to look into the diablo. i have an intake and just muffler and will be putting headers on and possiable cat removale, can i tune with all that in mind????
  8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can definitely tune with those mods in mind, especially with the predator because of the large number of parameters it can change. Once you have all the physical mods you have planned (so that you don't need to keep adjusting the tune anymore), you can have a programmer like Lew (06MonteSS) write you up a custom tune for a price that will let you get the most power possible from your upgrades. Until then, I think you would be happy with the improvements the Predator will let you make yourself.
  9. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

bully dog triple dog gt gas

you can program 4 different tunes into your engine, trans shift points/firmness, and all the other same things that all the other programmers do.

on top of all that its an lcd color gauge that you can bring up and monitor any ecm controlled system in your truck, record performance numbers, and adjust settings on the go.

for my 5.3L, using the e85 performance tune i get about 70 extra hp from e85 alone. its pretty badass.

but don't pay $400 or $500 for it, shop around at sites like bullydogperformance.com and you can find it for $200-$300
  10. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Bully Dog is crap.. plain and simple... heh.... 'nuf said...

they are so far out of their league any more, it ain't funny... old school...