1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which radiator do I need-glovebox code?-98 Suburban-2wd 1500 chevy

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by phoebeisis, Apr 6, 2008.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

I need to find out which radiator I need for my 2wd 1998 Suburban 1/2 ton. Is there a code in the glove box that would tell me this.

Pep boys has two radiators-$199 and $299 for my model, but they say one is HD(heavy duty?) and one is MAX(maximinum??).The parts lady doesn't have any idea what HD or MAX mean relative to which radiator I need.

Mine does have at least 6 hoses-2 coolant,2 engine oil cooler, 2 trans cooler lines going into it.My buddy says it should have a heater hose also, but I only see 6 hoses so far.(hard to see with thw shroud still on)

Anyone have any idea if those glove box codes tell what radiator I have?

Thanks,
    Charlie
    PS we are going on a 3000 mile trip in 4 weeks,so I need to get it fixed.It doesn't overheat,since the leak is very high on the radiator,and I check and add water as needed.
    ]
  2. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy New Member

There should be a number on the rad itself somewhere that you need.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

GMCSUVGUY,
    Thanks for the tip.I don't see one of those bar code part numbers, but it might be hidden by the shroud. I hope it hasn't fallen off-11 years and 200,000 miles is a lot of heat.
    I just found it-the bar code.It was on the left side(facing the engine bay) about 6 inches under the filler).When I cleaned it it came off.It has TA in big letters+ 10/21/97

An online seller has a genuine-new-GMC, DELPHI-radiator for $410 delivered.I would rather spend the extra $$,and get it, but not if I'm not 100% sure it would fit.

Thanks,
    Charlie