Which radiator do I need-glovebox code?-98 Suburban-2wd 1500 chevy

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by phoebeisis, Apr 6, 2008.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I need to find out which radiator I need for my 2wd 1998 Suburban 1/2 ton. Is there a code in the glove box that would tell me this.

Pep boys has two radiators-$199 and $299 for my model, but they say one is HD(heavy duty?) and one is MAX(maximinum??).The parts lady doesn't have any idea what HD or MAX mean relative to which radiator I need.

Mine does have at least 6 hoses-2 coolant,2 engine oil cooler, 2 trans cooler lines going into it.My buddy says it should have a heater hose also, but I only see 6 hoses so far.(hard to see with thw shroud still on)

Anyone have any idea if those glove box codes tell what radiator I have?

Thanks,
    Charlie
    PS we are going on a 3000 mile trip in 4 weeks,so I need to get it fixed.It doesn't overheat,since the leak is very high on the radiator,and I check and add water as needed.
    ]

2. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

There should be a number on the rad itself somewhere that you need.

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

GMCSUVGUY,
    Thanks for the tip.I don't see one of those bar code part numbers, but it might be hidden by the shroud. I hope it hasn't fallen off-11 years and 200,000 miles is a lot of heat.
    I just found it-the bar code.It was on the left side(facing the engine bay) about 6 inches under the filler).When I cleaned it it came off.It has TA in big letters+ 10/21/97

An online seller has a genuine-new-GMC, DELPHI-radiator for $410 delivered.I would rather spend the extra $$,and get it, but not if I'm not 100% sure it would fit.

Thanks,
    Charlie