1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which synthetic oil should I use?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by s6guy72, Dec 1, 2008.

1. s6guy72

s6guy72 New Member

i have a 2008 silverado 4.8 which synthetic oil should i use? or should i stay with standard oil?
  2. GMC era

GMC era New Member

I have always used Mobil 1. It is some of the best you can get and can be had for about $25 or so in a 5 qt. jug at wal-mart.

I've also heard good things about Penzoil Platinum as well an it is a few bucks cheaper than M1.

Definately make the switch, and extend oil changes as well. I change my filter and top off at 5,000 miles then drain, change filter, and refill at 10,000. M1 is proven to last that long and still have as good or better lube properties as dyno oils.
  3. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

Make that 2 for Mobil 1. As I've read through posts on this forum I've come to the conclusion that there are several oils out there. You can either use the best oil, the bestest oil, the besterest oil, or the betterbestest oil. It all comes down to... preference!

My preference from now on: Mobil 1, changed out every 7500k+ miles.
  4. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

It's pretty hard to go wrong with Mobil 1. Although, I am running Royal Purple. I figured I'd try it and it is a very good syn., but I don't know if it is worth the extra expense. I was going to switch back to M1 at my last oil change, but it was only $7 more to stay with RP, where I have mine done so I stayed with RP.
  5. Trask215

Trask215 New Member

Synthetic oil

I've always heard that royal purple is some of the best but also most expensive. I've seen on tv multiple truck shows that say they experienced a gain of a mile or two fuel wise and very small performance gains. But I don't know for myself if it is worth the extra money. Hope this helps.
  6. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

Same here!

I am runniing Royal Purple with a KN oil filter.!

I would def. make the switch! :happy:
  7. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 New Member

I use NAPA's products. I get the fully synthetic which is the same as valvoline, and I do say that carefully haha. But, BOTH are made by Ashland Oil. The best part is its cheaper than near everything for fully synthetic valvoline. For my filter I use the NAPA Gold filter. Made by Wix, which last I checked was a pretty darn good filter! I usually change after either 4-5 months or 4,000 miles, whichever comes first. To top it off my brother works at a NAPA warehouse so I get awesome discounts on all of this as well :D. But, whatever you do, GO SYNTHETIC!! You will feel the difference as you drive away! Hope this helps!
  8. raisor87

raisor87 New Member

I prefer amsoil but my wallet doesn't so I'm currently running royal purple $45 for 5 qts and filter where I'm at
  9. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

I started with Royal Purple, but decided to switch to Mobil 1 to save some coin. I have heard great things about both. I also run a K&N oil filter. I wanted to make sure to have a good filter since you run with the synthetic oil for much longer than conventional.
  10. steves86ta

steves86ta New Member

ive had drag cars, street cars, trucks you name it. Ive run everything from supertech (walmart brand) to amsoil. In my opinion ams oil i did notice a difference, but im going to stick with either Mobil 1 or royal purple. I know everyone out there says to not change till 5K, 7500, or 10K whatever. I still do a change every 3500 miles, and i run ac delco filters.