Which Tranny?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Hoss2500, May 23, 2010.

1. Hoss2500

Hoss2500 Member

Ok, so I am trying to figure out which transmission I have in my truck. 2009 2500HD WT 6.0L Gas.

Window sticker says "6 Speed HD Overdrive Transmission" but does not give the model number etc.

I looked at the sticky to try to identify my transmission by the pan, but mine looks different than any on that list.

If memory serves me correctly, and if I counted right, my pan has 18 bolts.

ANyone know what transmission is in these NBS 6.0 Gassers?

Hoss2500

2. Hoss2500

Hoss2500 Member

It's gotta be a 4L80E. I must be smoking crack or something.

I was looking at the pan when installing torsion keys, and had to have miscounted the bolt holes.

I'll crawl under there again today and look.

Just wanting to put a Mag Hytec pan on it.

Anyone have any experience with these? Do they really help the tranny run cooler? Seems to me like once the tranny and fluid reach "heat sync" it's going to be the same temp no matter which pan.....

I may be wrong....

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've had the Mag-Hytec Trans pan on my truck for some time now.....I Tow a boat during the summer.......With the Mag-Hytec pan on there my Trans now run between 8-10 Degree's Cooler than with the Stock pan.......also went dropping the pan for a filter change....So much easier.......For me it has Been Worth the Money I spended.

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Next to a Transmission Cooler adding this Pan......with it being Aluminum Finned and a Deeper Pan and holding 3 1/3 Quarts more,these are the reasons why they run Cooler than the Stock Pans.......Heat is the Biggest Killer of Auto Transmission.......IMO anytime you can put on a part that helps in cooling a Transmission went Towing....if you can put it on.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's a 6L90e. GM manufactured six speed auto.

You're on the right track with the cooling factor of a deep pan. All things being equal, it will just take longer for the extra couple of quarts to come up to temp.

Deeper pans are fine, but they only add FLUID capacity. They don't do much good for towing. Extra capacity helps when you abuse the transmission for a short while, then it has time to cool. Plowing and drag racing are good examples.

Big external coolers actually increase COOLING capacity. After an external cooler, I would put my money into Synthetic ATF. Syn ATF actually withstands higher temps without breaking down better than dino ATF does. Deep pan is last on my list.