Which transfercase motor do I need

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dmurphy95, Feb 28, 2013.

  1. dmurphy95

    dmurphy95 New Member

    I have a 99 chevy 1500 z71. It is an automatic. I need a transfercase motor but I have the 4 button 4x4. Auto hi low and 2hi which one do i need thx for help
  2. RayVoy

    RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

    4 button should include 4 low, if so, the transfer case is the NP246. The encoder motor will have different part numbers depending upon where you buy it.
  3. Pikey

    Pikey Moderator Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

    Pm me your VIN or at least the last 8 digits of your vin. I will get the correct part # for you. You are referring to the encoder motor, correct?

    - - - Updated - - -

    The number from GM is 12474401. Search around online amazon has it for $381
  4. trentkoger

    trentkoger New Member

    You should have a sticker in your glove box that shows you a bunch of it think 3 digit number one of them will say something like NP8, that will be your part code for your encoder motor. Correct me if im wrong guys.
  5. Pikey

    Pikey Moderator Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

    Yes, you can ID the t-case with the rpo code. I just called GM Service parts operations directly with his VIN and that is the number they gave me. That is that part number that was put on in the factory. The np8 code is for a NV246 transfercase. The issue is that most of the auto part stores have no idea what they are talking about and have no idea that there is a difference. So even if you can correctly ID your T-case, most of their description of parts do not go deep enough to say, "For NV246" T-case

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos