1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Which U joints for my 2500hd?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jlord9485, Dec 9, 2011.

1. jlord9485

jlord9485 New Member

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500hd that needs the u joints done on the rear drive shaft. I was wondering should I use greasable or non greasable u joints and who makes the strongest for HD applications?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would use a greaseable Precision, which is a division of MOOG. I bought the Autozone brand one time. I will never do that again. I had a heck of a time getting the correct u-joints for my 2002 extended cab silverado. I made 4 trips to the parts store. Finally I just decided to pull them all out, took them to the store and matched them up there. There were multiple part numbers listed for my application. What I found odd was that Autozone gave a lifetime warranty on the nongreasable joints, while the greasable had a 1 year and the heavy duty in their brand was not greaseable
  3. jlord9485

jlord9485 New Member

Pikey, Thanks for the advice. I am going to grab the greasable precision today from the napa warehouse by my house and install them. Thanks again!!!
  4. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

5. jlord9485

jlord9485 New Member

Quick question as I am going to the parts store today. The precision u joints for the truck come in 3.62" over bearing size or 4.18" over bearing. Which should I use for a regular cab long bed drive shaft truck? Is there a way to determine which u joint is the right one without having to remove the driveshaft and u joints?

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

I figured it out. The precision u joint for the rear drive shaft at the transmission is part # PUJ 232, which is a greasable u joint 3.62" over bearing. The other precision U joint for the rear drive shaft at the rear axle, part # PUJ 295A greasable u joint 4.18" over bearing.