Which U joints for my 2500hd?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jlord9485, Dec 9, 2011.

1. jlord9485

jlord9485 New Member

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500hd that needs the u joints done on the rear drive shaft. I was wondering should I use greasable or non greasable u joints and who makes the strongest for HD applications?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would use a greaseable Precision, which is a division of MOOG. I bought the Autozone brand one time. I will never do that again. I had a heck of a time getting the correct u-joints for my 2002 extended cab silverado. I made 4 trips to the parts store. Finally I just decided to pull them all out, took them to the store and matched them up there. There were multiple part numbers listed for my application. What I found odd was that Autozone gave a lifetime warranty on the nongreasable joints, while the greasable had a 1 year and the heavy duty in their brand was not greaseable

3. jlord9485

jlord9485 New Member

Pikey, Thanks for the advice. I am going to grab the greasable precision today from the napa warehouse by my house and install them. Thanks again!!!

4. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

5. jlord9485

jlord9485 New Member

Quick question as I am going to the parts store today. The precision u joints for the truck come in 3.62" over bearing size or 4.18" over bearing. Which should I use for a regular cab long bed drive shaft truck? Is there a way to determine which u joint is the right one without having to remove the driveshaft and u joints?

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

I figured it out. The precision u joint for the rear drive shaft at the transmission is part # PUJ 232, which is a greasable u joint 3.62" over bearing. The other precision U joint for the rear drive shaft at the rear axle, part # PUJ 295A greasable u joint 4.18" over bearing.