Which Year To Buy?

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by mrcaddy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. mrcaddy

mrcaddy Rockstar

I am contemplating getting an S-10 or S-15 as a second/back-up vehicle and light hauling. Nothing fancy. Hoping for a 4cyl, 5spd, long box. Any good years? Any bad years? Looking for fuel economy and reliability. Thanks,Scott

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My uncle had an 89' S-10 and he loved it, it ran forever I think it had a V-6 if I remember. I have a 2001 S-10 with the 4.3 V-6 which is GM's smallest gas hog, I would be amazed if I got 16mpg in my truck. When I bought mine I test drove a 2.2 and it had no power what so ever, which is why I decided on the 6 cylinder. I have had a couple expensive freak things happen to my truck, but that could happen on any vehicle. Most of the S-10's I see have a ton of miles, so good luck in finding one that's still in good shape.

3. muddmonkey

muddmonkey Member

get a zr2!!!!!

4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've had an '88 w/2.8L V6 & '93 w/4.3L V6. Both were very good trucks, both had automatics. I'm sure there are a lot of newer ones out there worth buying. Good luck!

5. harv51

harv51 New Member

they are all fun little trucks

6. MTspacez

MTspacez New Member

I've got a '94 with the 4.3 V6. It's rated at 140 HP and I get about 19 mpg. So, not only is it wimpy, it gets lousy gas mileage along with it. In an article in Car Craft magazine, somebody asked about building a hot rod using a Camaro V6. They told the reader that he'd spend a ton of money and end up with an engine that was still less efficient than a L99 V8. I don't know much about the four bangers in these trucks, so I cannot recommend a good vintage, but I would assume that the more recent, the better the technology and less wear they'd be subject to.

MT

7. 95_5spd

95_5spd Active Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have two s10s both with v6 in them. One is vin z which is the tbi and it get around 20 mpg. Hp around 160 i believe.
    The other one is vin w cpi vortec motor which is rated around 190 give or take. That has been getting 20 and better mpg.

Both i use for pulling a 500lb trailer with a walk behind commercial mower. Both are 5 speeds and 2wd and lowered. Both tow fine.

As for pulling with the 2.2, it would be pretty hard. I have driven one with a 5 speed and had to down shift from 5th to 3rd to climb a hill hauling nothing but myself.

Im glad i got the v6 for sure otherwise i would have probably traded up for one by now if i started with a 4 cyl. So if you are gonna do any hauling other then small stuff then get the v6. Gas will be fine unless you get a 4wd

8. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

My 87 with an 89 4.3 swap got 21mpg with stock internals and a 600cfm holley sitting on it....