1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whining fuel pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by nutlug, Jul 7, 2012.

1. nutlug

nutlug New Member

I picked up a 97' Tahoe, and if you walk behind it when it's running it sounds like the fuel pump is running wild, very loud, high pitched sound, like it's sucking air, even with a full tank. It runs great , not starving for fuel at all. It's a 5.7L vortec , is this normal for this truck, or is the fuel pump getting ready to die ? Any thoughts ? Thanks, Steve
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Unfortunately thats a pretty common sound on Tahoes and Suburbans, seems to be the accoustics of the vehicle.
    Doesnt always indicate immenant pump failure though.
    Something I recently noticed though is the noise problem doesnt seem to be reported as much by owners of GMC and Cadilliac trucks of the same model, maybe they use a different pump or better insulation around the pump, might be worth checking into, theres a lot of owners that get nervous when they hear that sound even if the truck is running right.
  3. nutlug

nutlug New Member

Thanks Tim, Thats just what I wanted to hear, I'll stop worrying about that.

Thanks, Steve