Whining fuel pump

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by nutlug, Jul 7, 2012.

1. nutlug

nutlug New Member

I picked up a 97' Tahoe, and if you walk behind it when it's running it sounds like the fuel pump is running wild, very loud, high pitched sound, like it's sucking air, even with a full tank. It runs great , not starving for fuel at all. It's a 5.7L vortec , is this normal for this truck, or is the fuel pump getting ready to die ? Any thoughts ? Thanks, Steve

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Unfortunately thats a pretty common sound on Tahoes and Suburbans, seems to be the accoustics of the vehicle.
    Doesnt always indicate immenant pump failure though.
    Something I recently noticed though is the noise problem doesnt seem to be reported as much by owners of GMC and Cadilliac trucks of the same model, maybe they use a different pump or better insulation around the pump, might be worth checking into, theres a lot of owners that get nervous when they hear that sound even if the truck is running right.

3. nutlug

nutlug New Member

Thanks Tim, Thats just what I wanted to hear, I'll stop worrying about that.

Thanks, Steve