1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Whining Noise / Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Mr Dawg, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Mr Dawg

Mr Dawg New Member

I have a 2000 Yukon 4x4 and i hear a loud whinning noise that changes with rpm. I always thought it was the steering pump but last time I had it worked on I was told it was the transmission. It seems to shift fine and fluid level is good. It happens at all times the truck is running in any gear moving or stopped. I also have a small oil leak from an unknow spot. Not enuf to leave spots on the ground but its on the undercarraige and under pressure like when passing it leaks enuf to cause smoke. I dont think its related but thought I'd throw that in there to give as much info as possible.
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts

You hear the whining inside the cab? Can you pinpoint where it's coming from a little more? If you stand outside of the truck, can you hear whether it's coming from the engine bay, underneath, the rear, anywhere in particular around the engine?
  3. Mr Dawg

Mr Dawg New Member

Its pretty loud so I can hear it if the windows are down. I know its coming from the front. I think the driver side but I usually approach from that side so I'm not positive I'll check again when I get off work.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Maybe you have a supercharger and dont know it:neutral:. LOL, to me it would sound like a power steering pump getting low on fluid. When the truck is at idle and in park does it get louder when you try to turn the steering wheel?
  5. Mr Dawg

Mr Dawg New Member

The steering fluid level is good and it seems the sound only changes with rpm. I tried turning the wheel a few times with no change in sound.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Could the water pump be doing this??
  7. Mr Dawg

Mr Dawg New Member

I never heard of a water pump whine. I know they sometimes squeal but this is a whine exactly like the low steering fluid whine.
  8. Mr Dawg

Mr Dawg New Member

I forget to add this because I was posting from my blackberry. Someone said that it could be the front diff if the fluid was low. I also tried to pinmpoint the sound a lil better when i was leaving work. I just did a quick listen at the wheel wells and it didnt sound like it was coming from either side more than the other. Also when driving sometimes a get a funny feeling in the steering wheel when i start to turn. Its real quick but sorta like the feeling of a steering pump with low fluid. I'm thinking I just need a new steering pump but I'm gonna check the diff fluid soon as I get a chance.
  9. Mr Dawg

Mr Dawg New Member

I had some time tonight to try to pinpoint the sound and it sounds like its on the passenger side. When I rev the engine I can hear a slight rattle like marbles in a can. Im guessing that would be bearings on 1 of the pulleys.