1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Whipple Supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by chance, Mar 2, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. chance

chance Member

Now forced induction is nothing new to me, but a crank driven supercharging device is. I am really leaning towards the Whipple for my truck more than any other type or brand. Does anyone have experience with them or maybe a thought or a opinion?

2. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've heard nothing but great things about them although I have never had experience with them.

3. 06piney

06piney Rockstar 100 Posts

my friend has one in his 454 burb. He has nothing but great things to say about it. As far as i know they are awesome surperchargers.

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My boss actually had a magnacharger for his Cobalt, and it was a nice easy install and he got moderate power from it. When he went and bought a new Cadillac CTS, he had a Whipple put on it and all I can say is holy s***. He had a hell of a time with the installation, as it was not as user friendly as the Magnacharger. There was one super nice feature about this product, for a nominal fee ($500) they sent a portable tuner which is pre-programmed with the aftermarket tune for your whipple charger. This is not a standard option, you must REQUEST this and pay the extra money but it is worth it. Once installation is complete, you hook up the scanner to the PTM and let it work it's magic. It will show you what to do like turn accessory on or push brake to the floor, or act to a certain prompt on the screen. The whole process takes about 35 minutes, and the scanner is yours to keep. He absolutely loves the system and recommends it to anyone, 125 hp gain, ???torque on P Zero tires.

5. black98noma

black98noma Rockstar

my aunt and uncle has a 69 camaro z28 that will run 9's.. it has a whipple super charger, i havent got the oppurtunity to run it (come to think of it neither have they lol) but the guy they bought it from hasnthas one prob with it.. go for it bro!!

6. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

+1 for a whipple. They are supposed to be the best design for a super charger.

7. chance

chance Member

4L60e

Ive done some reading through out the web and it seems that no one really thinks highly of this tranny. The wipple is supposed to place a 40-50% increase in power. So lets say for numbers 425hp and 500ft-lbs at the crank. I am told that the 60e is only rated up to 360ft-lbs. Im guessing Im gonna loose the tranny a few weeks after the install of the SC.

What do you guys think???

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  8. Slow1500

Slow1500 Rockstar

Whipples are pretty efficient for a supercharger. I've seen some s/c grand prixs like the one I had with a whipple transplant and they made a lot more power with less knock. They also sound wicked! Bout gives goosebumps hearing them. But yeah I've heard the weak link on gm trucks are their trannies.

Here's a whipple on a 3.8 grand prix. Loud as hell! Watch whole vid...2nd pull is evil, even scared the camera guy. If I remember correct from the gp forum he made around 400hp.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSAb67sSNMk"]YouTube - Whipple Grand Rpix[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  9. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

holy frik! thats awsome. i need to get one some day

10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Shop I worked for was a Whipple installer. Did both small and big block trucks, installs easy,good instructions. Customers were happy. Tech line good also. Just before I left they also started installing Magnachargers. They seemed to have better throttle response due to a valve in back of the supercharger itself, I forget what they call this valve but the Whipple doesnt have this valve. I would check both out.