GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

White exhaust

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by zenn68, May 12, 2010.

1. zenn68

zenn68 New Member

Hello all, new member here. I am having some problem with a truck I recently bought. Could I get some assistance with this? I will try to keep it brief.

Vehicle is a 97 Chevy K1500.

Symptom: Thick billowing white smoke from exhaust when I first start it cold after sitting a while.
    Smoke clears up while driving and does not reappear while stopped and idling (like stopped at a light).

If I park for a few minutes then, come back and start it white smoke reappears until i start driving.

All was fine till yesterday, started doing it this morning.
  2. hmccall3

hmccall3 New Member

Any CEL codes? Have you checked your oil to see if its milky colored? White smoke usually means water in the combustion chamber either from a cracked head, blown head gasket or both.
  3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

Hes right. Id check your oil color and your coolant level. If you have a bad head or head gasket, get it fixed right away. Ive seen too many motors ruined because people run oil contaminated with coolant threw them because they think its ok because the truck still runs "good". Contaminated oil damages your motor because it has much less lubricity and coolant damages seals and crank bearings fast.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

Where do you live??? here in Northern MN when the weather is a bit cooler white exhaust is a very common thing on all cars as the moisture builds up in the exhaust and as it heats up it creates steam...
  5. zenn68

zenn68 New Member

I live in Upstate NY, it's been unseasonably cold for May, down into the 40s.
    I'm hoping it's not a head gasket, just dont want to go trough swapping it out right now. Is a leakdown test the only way to confirm if it is the gasket. What else could I check for?
  6. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member

check brake fluid master cylinder can leak into booster and get sucked into intake when it finally goes it looks like you are playing spy hunter:happy:
  7. zenn68

zenn68 New Member

OK, good and bad news (maybe not too bad).
    Looking around inside the engine I noticed that the air filter cover wasn't seated properly. i had it off the other day to inspect it. I seated it and right away the white exhaust cleared right up and the the engine ran a bit smoother.
    Then I hooked up the code scanner and got a 0507 Idle Control Arm. RPM high.
    A quick scan online shows me the part is over $100. :eek:
    How hard is it to replace this part, and what else should I be looking for around this issue.

Thanks all.