1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

White Silverado painting questions

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Cheez, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Cheez

Cheez Member

Well it's been awhile since I've done much with my truck. School and winter won't let me even get a decent hand wash in. Next weekend I'll have a few days off because of Mardi Gras so I've declared a truck cleaning day.

I've been wanting to paint a few pieces white to kinda set the truck apart and clean up a little bit of the aged black plastic. I keep going back and forth on what I want so I did a few quick photoshops.

Here's the white emblem I plan to paint.
    [​IMG]
    I had white mirror caps at one point. I got new mirrors a couple months ago and never painted the caps. I like the look so I believe I'll paint them back.
    [​IMG]

The last thing I plan to change is the door handles. We all know what those look like though so no photoshop there.

When I got the truck the previous owner had put a massive dent/scrape in the tailgate. I try to photoshop it out of all my pictures just because I hate the way it looks. Well that will also be filled in and painted.
    [​IMG]
    I managed to find a picture of it that I hadn't photoshoped. ^

After all this painting and cleaning is done I plan to have a photoshoot of epic proportions. I've shot a few cars before but never a truck. Here's a bit of a previous shoot to kinda give an idea of what I plan to do. Also I believe a few interior shots are in order.
    [​IMG]

So can I get a yay or nay on the emblem and mirror caps and door handles?
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Mardi Gras will be a truck cleaning weekend for me. If all goes as planned I'll be working that weekend so I'll clean my truck when I get off. I do think I've seen this truck once though

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Oh yeah go head and paint away. My door handles are on my list after my tailgate.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

x2.....On Painting the Door Handles, and also painting the Tailgate Bezel........I don't know if you are going to do the Painting or a Body Shop or Buying these items already Painted(Color Matched)??.....

A Couple of Routes you can go regarding this, the first one is.....LMC Trucks Sells Smooth Paint-able Door handles and Tailgate Bezel,

LMC Door Handles,
    http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=11

LMC Tailgate Bezel,
    http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/ce/full.aspx?Page=34

The Second is Buying the Door/Tallgate Handles already Painted......the 2 Outlet's to check for these items are Quirk Parts and Jennings Parts,

Quirk Parts,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-07-Chevy...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2ea74732ba

Jennings,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-07-Chevy...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2ea74732ba
  4. Cheez

Cheez Member

Thanks for the links! I looked through them and I think I'm going to save $200 and just go with a $10 can of dupli color. I've painted over that texture before and it turned out alright. The tailgate is going to need a little bit more than spray paint love though...
  5. 747

747 New Member

Your truck would look clean with painted bowtie, mirrors and door handles. You may want to consider doing the front top fascia and tailgate handle too.

Ive painted the plastic on a few trucks using Krylon Fusion paint and its lasts forever. But I always sand the plastics first, and use a gloss clearcoat spray paint.

BTW, Im a fan of your truck, I think it looks great with the NNBS wheels! :great:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

Here is a link.....A write-up with Pictures on Painting the mirror caps, but can also help with painting door/tailgate Handles, Its an Excellent Write-up, that has step by step Instruction!!....

Link,
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/39420-Painting-trim-acc-on-a-budget!
  7. Cheez

Cheez Member

Thanks very much! I've messed with Krylon paint before. It's some pretty serious stuff imo.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

I've have used and I really like the Dupli-Color Perfect Match Paint, which I've used on my Front Lower Valance and the Rear Bumper Pads, and they both Turned Out looking Great, and have held up Beautifully Over-Time, with this being say, Doing the Prep work Correctly will make or break how the Paint looks and Holds up Over-Time.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Definitely paint the bowtie and mirror caps. I recently color matched my tailgate handle and bezel and used the duplicolor perfect match paint and it turned out pretty nice. I bought a smooth bezel to save on sanding, but I did sand the handle and it came out looking really good. I'd recommend getting some color matched door handles and matching the bumper cap too. Here's a pic of the handle, I don't even have it on the truck now, I replaced it with a solid chrome handle to match my door handles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

LOL at me and Mike whoring out the trucks!