1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

white sulfur smelling smoke from under the hood

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by bniland, Apr 23, 2012.

1. bniland

bniland New Member

Hello, I have a 97 Chevy Silverado 5.7 ...sometimes when I try to start it it just shudders and a white smoke comes from under the hood and then I can start it. Any ideas??? thanks in advance---Bryan

2. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member

Check your idler pulleys. Make sure they're not locking up and rubbing away your serpentine belt. After that, check your wiring. Any shorts will start burning away the sheathing for the wires in small increments. Not sure what color smoke it would put up but white smoke isn't out of the question, and it doesn't smell that great when it happens. Those are the first two things that I would look at.
  3. bniland

bniland New Member

Thanks I'll start there.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

When you say it "shudders", do you mean it turns over, starts for a second and dies? It it back firing? Does it Just turn over? Given the info we have now, I agree with Supplysgt, I would check wiring. Especially near the starter.