Who has gone out and bought 15" wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Rubber over rim is very important in the offroad line of trucks...
    I was thinking of getting a set of these
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-84-5860l/overview/
    cause they're simple, tough, 15x8, wheels. and light weight is also very important.

what tire sized did you wrap these in? I dont have much of a lift, and when I go camping the back almost sits lower than the front, but i want to go as big as i can for ground clearance, and traction.

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

On my stock height '98, I put a set of 32x11.50R15 that I think look pretty good on her. If you have a little bit of lift, I would expect you could easily go 33x12.50R15.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Last time I bought wheels and tires I found out it was cheaper to go with 16 or 17 inch wheels than 15s. Tires were cheaper too.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On my 95 I had 38.5"x 16.5" on 15 inch rims. That was a lot of rubber. I never had to worry about a pot hole messing up my rim. The truck rode like it was on a pillow. When I would hit the sand dunes I would air them down to 8 psi. You could not tell that I let air out at all. It took forever to fill them back up

5. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

"When I would hit the sand dunes I would air them down to 8 psi"

lol exactly, you can do that, and have less chance of poping a bead with 15" rims because the tire is acting like suspension at that point around the rim itself.

Im up in the air though between steel or aluminum... I did find a nice pair of 305/70 R16s for the stock wheels.... which is cool
    but i have personally experianced steel rims being ruined by a good curbing, milled alluminum- leaking, and forged aluminum- cracking...
    so im still kinda up in the air...
    What kind of wheels did you invest in?
    i just picked the nascar-steel... well, just because

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think my were forged aluminum, but I am not sure, I don't even remember what brand they were and I am having a hard time finding them online they had an A/W on the center cap. Only issue I had with them was going thru deep mud and spinning them. The sand in the mud acted like sand paper and took the clear coat off of them. I beat the hell out of them and never cracked one. I mean beat the hell out of them.

7. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

We run 265x75x17 on my sons k2500... any larger I believe you'd need a level or lift kit.

8. sdpbob

sdpbob Rockstar 100 Posts

Im running pretty much those rims on my truck with 33x12.5x15 tire and I like how it rides havent gone off road yet this year with the new tires but the last ones I had were the same size and did just fine.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a set of used Humvee tires to see how they do.

9. Blamer

Blamer New Member

Your truck rode enjoy it was on the pillow. As i would hit the fine sand dunes I had air them into 6 psi. I beat the actual hell out of them and not cracked just one. I imply beat the actual hell out of them.

10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would agree you want the tire to prtoect the rim while offroading. But as has been stated before a 17" rim will be cheaper and you can still protect it. Say you go with a 12.50 or so wide tire. When you buy the rim buy an 8" wide rim. That differenc will give the tire a slight "bulge" look to it and it will save your rim. Never mind the cost will be less. On my truck now I have the stock 18's which I beleive are 8" wide. And I am running a 12.50.