1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who has gone out and bought 15" wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Rubber over rim is very important in the offroad line of trucks...
    I was thinking of getting a set of these
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/usw-84-5860l/overview/
    cause they're simple, tough, 15x8, wheels. and light weight is also very important.

what tire sized did you wrap these in? I dont have much of a lift, and when I go camping the back almost sits lower than the front, but i want to go as big as i can for ground clearance, and traction.
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

On my stock height '98, I put a set of 32x11.50R15 that I think look pretty good on her. If you have a little bit of lift, I would expect you could easily go 33x12.50R15.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Last time I bought wheels and tires I found out it was cheaper to go with 16 or 17 inch wheels than 15s. Tires were cheaper too.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On my 95 I had 38.5"x 16.5" on 15 inch rims. That was a lot of rubber. I never had to worry about a pot hole messing up my rim. The truck rode like it was on a pillow. When I would hit the sand dunes I would air them down to 8 psi. You could not tell that I let air out at all. It took forever to fill them back up
  5. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

"When I would hit the sand dunes I would air them down to 8 psi"

lol exactly, you can do that, and have less chance of poping a bead with 15" rims because the tire is acting like suspension at that point around the rim itself.

Im up in the air though between steel or aluminum... I did find a nice pair of 305/70 R16s for the stock wheels.... which is cool
    but i have personally experianced steel rims being ruined by a good curbing, milled alluminum- leaking, and forged aluminum- cracking...
    so im still kinda up in the air...
    What kind of wheels did you invest in?
    i just picked the nascar-steel... well, just because
  6. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think my were forged aluminum, but I am not sure, I don't even remember what brand they were and I am having a hard time finding them online they had an A/W on the center cap. Only issue I had with them was going thru deep mud and spinning them. The sand in the mud acted like sand paper and took the clear coat off of them. I beat the hell out of them and never cracked one. I mean beat the hell out of them.
  7. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

We run 265x75x17 on my sons k2500... any larger I believe you'd need a level or lift kit.
  8. sdpbob

sdpbob Rockstar 100 Posts

Im running pretty much those rims on my truck with 33x12.5x15 tire and I like how it rides havent gone off road yet this year with the new tires but the last ones I had were the same size and did just fine.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a set of used Humvee tires to see how they do.
  9. Blamer

Blamer New Member

Your truck rode enjoy it was on the pillow. As i would hit the fine sand dunes I had air them into 6 psi. I beat the actual hell out of them and not cracked just one. I imply beat the actual hell out of them.
  10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would agree you want the tire to prtoect the rim while offroading. But as has been stated before a 17" rim will be cheaper and you can still protect it. Say you go with a 12.50 or so wide tire. When you buy the rim buy an 8" wide rim. That differenc will give the tire a slight "bulge" look to it and it will save your rim. Never mind the cost will be less. On my truck now I have the stock 18's which I beleive are 8" wide. And I am running a 12.50.