Who has painted there front bumper themselves

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Curky, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

This is what I am looking into doing.First pic is my truck second pic is close to what I am looking into doing.
    IMG_20120119_082753.jpg
    1037t_10.jpg
    It will cost about $350 to get done but if I do it myself It would cost $80. I have painted cars in the past but not how I am looking into doing it. Some of you will probable give me a hard time about how I plane on it but I think I can do it. Just want to know if any one else has done this. I plan on using aerosol cans. This is my shopping cart. do you think it is enough to cover: 2 coats of plastic adhesive, 1-2 coats primer and 3-4 coats of paint and clear.
    1) Qty 1: AER-AP - 12 oz Aerosol Plastic Parts Adhesion Promoter - $7.95 ea.2) Qty 2: AER-CC - 12 oz Aerosol High Gloss Clear Coat - $7.95 ea.
    3) Qty 2: AER-BC - 12 oz Aerosol Spray Paint, 2008 Chevrolet Silverado: Olympic White 50 - $19.95 ea.
    4) Qty 1: CNGN - Aerosol Spray Can Trigger - $3.95 ea.
    5) Qty 1: PSOLV - Prep Solvent - $2.76 ea.
    6) Qty 1: AER-PR-White - 12 oz. Aerosol White Sandable Acrylic Lacquer Primer - $7.95 ea.

2. ron8879

ron8879 New Member

i would suggest either just finding the correct bumper you want or have it professional shot. I think a truck worth this amount deserves better the aerosol that will more than likely not be even. Even with the best of skills to aerosol will more than likely have lighter and heavier paint spots and possilbe streaking...as well as not being in a paint booth to keep contaminates from getting in the paint while its drying....

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think it would look sweet if you painted the grill and bumper. I used to paint foundry equipment for work. I have to say that I got pretty good at it. We used a high volume low pressure gravity fed gun and aerosols occasionally. I could get better results with the aerosols. But, it did not matter much. Ten minutes after our equipment was installed it was covered in sand and dust and never saw the light of day again. I would not attempt to paint a bumper myself. Not that I don't think I could do a good job. I am anal and it would bug the heck out of me if it were not perfect. I guess that I would pay someone to do it. If you pull the grill and bumper yourself you may get a major price break. I am guessing around $400 to do them. That is just going by what places wanted to spray my flares. I could be way off. You could always ask @TRPLXL2 if she knows someone in the area that is fair priced and does nice work. If you felt like driving way up here, my neighbor sprayed for GM truck and bus for 25 years. He would probably do it for around $100, plus paint. I would have to ask him when he gets home from his 4 month road trip. But, you may know someone that can score the paint for you!! :whistle:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It's doable, I've seen where someone spray-bombed their rear bumper and it turned out really well. My only question would be on the durability since it is the front bumper and will be exposed to everything.

5. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I have check the price on the paint, primer, clear coat,(for gun) and mic stuff needed. We are talking only $40 more so about $120 for all of it. There really is not much surface area really. The two corners where the fog light go, center medal peace, and the perimeter of the grill. I think a qt of each will be enough.?.?.

Her is the other thing that some will know. The plastic is textured NOT smooth = (sanding?) yes nor or just real light. That is the ONLY worry I have

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that you do have to sand it smooth. It should not be that bad to do. I am sure that there is a thread somewhere on here with someone doing it.