1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

who here has double din radio units? thinking about getting one

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jordanr1987, Dec 21, 2011.

1. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 New Member

with boxing day coming up im thinking of adding a double din unit to my truck as a gift to myself :happy:

does anyone here have the pioneer p2300? right now its on sale for 299 at bestbuy (5.8" screen with dvd playback - also option to install rear camera which i might do as i can only see the top of my tonneau cover when i back up :shocked: but it doesn't have bluetooth - not like i use my phone in the truck really

and boxing day they'll have the kenwood ddx418 on sale for 329.99 (6.1" touchscreen with bluetooth and video playback)

are these hard to install? ive installed single din units and satellite radio before but i heard gm trucks wiring is different and i lose door chimes or something?)

i might also take it to a shop to get it installed
  2. gear_head

gear_head New Member

I went with a touch screen unit. The install was much like any other radio change, with a few extra points. Mine is an 05, not sure your 03 is the same. I needed the adapter that had a little speaker in it. This allowed me to keep the factory door chimes, alerts, etc. I also had to run a 12v switched wire to the radio. Hope this helps point you in the right direction.
  3. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Try Crutchfield.com. They have great prices and provide all needed accessories to make your installation easy!!!! If you purchase a stereo they give a free dash kit, wiring harness and instructions.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  4. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 New Member

did you have to cut out a metal bar?
    crutchfield says 'modified fit' and then it says:

getting the in dash kit and instructions would be nice for free - compared to futureshop/bestbuy where its probably $20-40
  5. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

Hello. 03 and 05 are the same. Do u have onstar or Bose? If not then all you need is a GMCO harness. They are expensive but come with the chime and the self generating acc. Harness. There are no modifications you need to make wih that bar.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a 2004 (same as 03 and 05) and zigger's spot on in that you don't need to cut out the bar (or do any removal of any kind) to get a double din unit in. I have a DNX6960 in mine and a photo of it is in an album you can check from my profile. The installation was easy.
  7. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 New Member

zigger - no onstar and no bose

surrealone - looks clean!

i went to futureshop tonight to look at the 3 units
    the jvc without ipod integration 6.1" is 299.99 (marked down from 399 till dec 24)
    pioneer with integration 5.8" 319.99
    the kenwood 6.1" is 499 but on sale to 329 on boxing day

so i told the sales employee i was interested in the jvc one for 299.99 and asked how much installation would be
    get this:
    130 for installation
    130 for the adaptor
    30 for the dash kit
    18 for the antenna adaptor

thats the same price as the unit itself! :grrrrrr:

crutchfield usa has a sony unit with free dash kit, free installation manual and the gm adapter harness is half price 39.99 (might sign up for a mail forwarding usa address thing)

unfortunately crutchfield canada doesn't have the same low prices and units start at ~$400

i may also just buy the unit itself at futureshop for 299.99 and then find the dash kit/gm adapter online somewhere for cheap
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  8. SurrealOne

This might save you some cash:
    Here's the ($13.34) dash kit I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NWG3RO
    There's actually a cheaper dash kit made by Metra but it's junk. I had it and it broke on me. I replaced it with the Scosche linked, above, and it's been fine (and also been in/out of the truck a number of times now and is holding up well).

Here's the ($4.65) antenna adaptor I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BEQN4

I had Bose+Onstar so I bought the following wiring harness w/ chime: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047XW8PQ
    (If you lack Bose/Onstar then you may need another harness, but Amazon should have it.)

If you have steering wheel controls you want to wire in then I suggest you avoid the heck out of the PAC SWI-JACK. It's a pain to install (requires wiring to the BCM, which means kick plate removal on the driver's side), a pain to program, and is generally unreliable once programmed. I replaced the one I installed with the Metra Axxess ASWC which wired right into the radio harness instead of the BCM (i.e. no kick plate removal) and was self-programming. It's been completely reliable since the install, too.

Last, you might also consider searching Amazon for the unit you want to buy; usually some decent pricing there. Also consider a factory refurbished one if you want to keep costs down ... or want to spend the same and have the potential to buy a newer/nicer unit for about the same money.

Surreal
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  9. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

Punch in the part number GMCO. That's what you need for the harness. It's about 80 bucks. Surrealone, there is a better place to grab that wire for the steering wheel controls.
  10. SurrealOne

Zigger -- probably but I went where the instructions said to go. The ASWC, on the other hand, lets you grab it at the radio harness -- which is far superior. No hunting at all. Their instructions even tell you the right wire colour ... which the PAC SWI-JACK instructions didn't!