Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who makes the best bug deflector?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by magstar67, Apr 28, 2009.

1. magstar67

magstar67 New Member

I need one for my 06 2500HD, I had a AVS on my 05 Avalanche, it looked good but didnt seem to do much for keeping bugs off the windshield, are there any of them that do the trick? It seems they need some sort of lip or something to truly deflect bugs over the windshield, most are really only protection for the leading edge of the hood it seems.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think most of them are called hood protectors now, I think the modern ones are too aerodynamic to deflect bugs anymore unlike the old '80s style that stood straight up like a sail! Remember all the colors, red, blue, amber and even sunglass green! :lol:
  3. heavy chevy

heavy chevy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

avs makes a good bug shield but i dont recomend putting a bug shield on any of the newer model trucks it just doesent look rite to me.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have an EGR bug shield and it protects the hood real nice, but it throws EVERYTHING on the windshield. I have had it on my truck for 3 years so far, but it's only a matter of time before I get a stone chip in my windshield.
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Already got the stone chip. :grrrrrr:
  6. Breathtaker

Breathtaker Rockstar

Yeah that's the problem it sure protects your hood but could get onto your windshield which is worse.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yup, not many are actually bug deflectors just a protector, the ones that have a lip to actually kick the air upward will rob you of a MPG or two, the old straight ones took 2mpg off my parents 89 suburban
  8. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i think the best ones are the ones that stay at the store or at the manufacturers. i have always had one one until i got this truck. there was one on it when i bought it until a fender bender forced me to take it off till the body work was done. after its removal, i noticed less bugs on my windshield. i dunno if its just me or what, but i dont think they work. plus i thought it took away from the looks of the truck. i do however like the looks of the silver ones on the darker trucks
  9. fjrocketman

fjrocketman New Member

I have a chrome EGR on my Silver Birch Silverado. I agree it does throw everything onto my windshield but it does save my hood. To me, wouldn't run without one...it's easier to replace a windshield than the hood.