Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Who pulls trailers and lifted their truck?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by chevymon, Sep 24, 2009.

1. chevymon

chevymon New Member

So i drive a 2006 2500HD chevy ext. 8ft bed truck. i want to lift it but i pull goosenecks and 5th wheel campers. is a 6 in front and 4 rear lift going to prevent me from pulling most trailers?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yes for a couple possible reasons:
    How much total lift are you talking after tires? Gooseneck and 5th wheels run much better when the hitch platform is level with the hitch, they do have some adjustability but probably not enough to make up for the different height your planning.
    Most aftermarket suspension parts reduce weight capability on a truck, lifted springs rarely are rated at the original manufacturers rating.
    As a rule of thumb if your using a truck to pull trailers you dont want to add a lift.

3. black06

black06 Member

I was wondering the same thing. I have an 06 1/2 ton and pull a 28ft. travel trailer,and was wondering if I put a 2in. leveling kit on mine how would it effect the camper.

4. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It won't effect the 2 inch leveling kit hardly any from stock, just might reduce turning, as it raises the front end, and the rear end will still be like stock, so the front end will be even higher, that means less weight on the front tires to turn. So, turning might be changed. Oh, and the front end of your truck will be in the air when towing.

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Dont lift your truck if you are going to tow those larger trailers. The truck will be a hand full at highway speeds.

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Would an airbag suspension be better???

7. tbplus10

A 2" kit wont hurt, you can adjust out enough for the trailer hitch.
    Airbags are great as long as you arent trying to lift the truck to high, most new airbag kits are rated higher than factory springs. Firestone makes about 80% of the airbags out and they really know what their doing with their product.
    The key to safely towing trailers is to keep the weight low and the truck and trailer level.
    Getting the truck or trailer nose or tail high contributes to sway.
    If properly loaded your truck and trailer should be parallel to the ground on a flat surface.

8. black06

black06 Member

yeah right now the truck and camper sit pretty level w/ the weight distribution just wondered if it still would if I added the 2in. leveling kit. don't they use blocks or something for the rear?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  9. tbplus10

Most leveling kits raise the front and the back stays where its at.
    I dont think you'd have a problem with a leveling kit, the truck/trailer combo would pretty much still stay level, and you should have a little height adjustability to level it back out if it doesnt.

10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

MY buddy has a 2500 on 39s and pulls his malibu 23lsv but idk bout a 5thwheel