1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who uses XM Radio

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by hotrodking86, May 9, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. hotrodking86

hotrodking86 New Member 100 Posts

Hey all,
    Since I have bought my truck I have been using XM radio, but due to the economy I have realized that paying for the radio is a little bit outrageous. My subscription is up and I called XM to check prices on the renewing and the first option I got was 90 dollars for 6 months. Than after talking to them for a while they lowered it to 50 bucks for 6 months. I remember a few years ago I paid 70 dollars for a whole year using Sirius. Who else feels my pain?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have Sirius, which is now the same company. I pay $15 a month for my service, but I'm in my car for at least 2.5 hours every day, so it's well worth it. A while back I called to cancel the service because I couldn't afford it at the time and they offered me 3 months free to keep my business, so I took it and have since been able to afford it. If you spend any long length of time in your car and don't have some sort of other entertainment option (ipod, etc) orther than regular radio, it's a nice comfort item, despite not being free.
  3. donl

donl New Member 100 Posts

XM radio

My last 2 XM renewals on my Silverado have been $21.40 with tax for 5 months. Sirius was $25 plus tax for 5 months on my 2011 Taurus when I renewed.
  4. gkatmar

gkatmar New Member

I think it's worth it. Regular radio sucks.
  5. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have XM in 2 trucks and the house...Lately however I have been streaming Pandora with my Droid X through the Bluetooth Audio on my Pioneer Headunit. I paid $36.00 for a year of advertisement free Pandora. Xm I think is ruuning $90.00 every 4 months.

So far I have been listening to Pandora 80% of the time and XM 20%. The nice thing about Pandora I can create channels and it will shuffle through each channel.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

XM radio is pretty sweet. I'm a big fan but I have a re-up my subscription I do have to admit. :-?
  7. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My mom has XM in the buick and couldn't live without it. During the trial she thought about dropping it, but is glad now that she kept it.

I'm a pretty big fan as well. The biggest limiting factor for me is the cost of the hardware though. I wanted to add it to my red truck, but the cost of the Pioneer module was $200 - that $50 more than the head unit I had cost... there's no way I would pay more for an add-on module than the radio. The avalanche didn't come with XM - wasn't available in canada until 2004, unlike the 2003 avalanches in the states that got it. I think when my budget allows me to put a navigation unit in the truck, I will get the XM unit to go with it.

To save a bit of money, when I do get it I think I will pay my mom the price of the subscription and add it to her account since it is cheaper to add a second radio to an account than to start a new account. Anyone getting 5 months for $21.40 or any low price like that is obviously not canadian. I think the lowest rate here is $12.xx/month if you buy 3 years at a time. A second radio is only $9.99/month.
  8. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I use my XM all the time. From the radio stations to sports (baseball, football and hockey) it rocks. The one issue I have is that you can't combine Sirius and XM accounts. They're separate, and they won't negotiate.
  9. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think as far as music channels go they are the same on either service. The last time I looked at the channel line ups they were almost identical down to channel numbers and genre. I think the only difference is some of the sports and talk shows that XM doesnt have...you have to subscribe to the "Best of Sirius" to get those.
  10. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Everything as far as service should be the same (although possibly in different programming packages?) between sirius and xm since they merged a while back, but I do think it's strange that they have kept their accounts and everything on the customer-business end separate. Say you have a ford with sirius and a GM with XM. It would make sense that you should be able to combine them and put them both under one account.