Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Who went camping and where this past summer? And whos doing some winter camping?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by murdog94, Sep 19, 2010.

1. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

As the title says who went were camping this summer. Since i didnt even get a weekend off, and did a little fishing i figured it would be nice to see who did have time to go and where.
    Also I always try to get one late camping trip in up to the Canadian Boarder for some awsome fall trout fishing. And obviously my camper is the hunting shack for deer season!
    Post up some pics when you have time as well would be great.

2. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a week off in late June, went up to Arkansas and did a little camping at the Norfork River, along with some trout fishing. I did more camping on my best friend's couch that week than I did outside! Definitely planning for some more in November for sure, and once the weather cools down a bit here I'll hit the trails again for a few overnighters. Just been a hot summer...I say that every year!:glasses:

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I used to love winter camping, I did it all the time as a kid in the Scouts.

Once we went camping and tool bales of straw with us. The straw went out on the snow, then we put a tarp on top of that and tents on top of that. Then above us we got a decommisioned air force parachute, a big one - like for dropping heavy gear or something, and we lit a fire under the parachute and staked it down all around us. The fire kept the parachute inflated, so we didn't get snowed on, plus it raised the temp under there to maybe 40F so it was much warmer than the 20F temp (daytime) or 5F temp outside. Just keep the fire away from the staw ... until it's time to leave, then we threw the straw into the fire last thing and had a big roaring fire for about 2 minutes.

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I am very fortunate....we were able to get up 3 times this year and each were over extended weekends. I am also very lucky in the sense that my wife enjoys camping just as much as I do. Typically, we like to camp at about 10,000 ft and only go where 4x4s can get to. The pics below are from one of our favorite campsites. It's next to a river in which we 4 wheel through on the road that takes us up to around 13,000 ft.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That looked like a really good time! Mt.... I however cant do the tent thing.. and im hoping to get in some camping next summer since with some luck ill be able to have some time off! and whats amazing is Co. looks a whole lot like MN in that pic HAHA..

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Yeah, it was a blast. CO is like MN except for less mosquitos (I think). My next-door neighboor is from MN and is a huge Vikings fan, so I hear plenty of great things about your State but even more about the Vikings...and most of it is not so good since the let down stemming from not making to the Superbowl after coming so close.

It stinks you did not really have a chance to get out this Summer...that's the one the few things that keeps me sane. I hope you get some much needed time off next year!

7. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I only got to go twice over the summer due to work, but I'm going over the winter... in CO I want to say? (hopefully when it snows) so I can find a spot on a mountian and do some free-skiing

8. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

That's a beautiful camp site. It looks like you guys have just bout everything.

The last camping trip I took was with some friends in early November. It was pretty random and poorly planned but we had a good time. Because of our poor preparation and the fact that it got quite cold that night, I actually ended up sleeping in my truck (which didn't help much). I was up pretty early to get the fire going again for some warmth. Luckily, I always have an axe and some other survival gear so we were able to hack at some dead trees for firewood. It was a good time, regardless of the temperature.

As I mentioned in the hunting forum, I'll probably be spending about a week out at some family land of ours this summer. The camping should be pretty fun but it will probably be terribly hot. Worst case scenario, I drive 10 miles out and stay at my the vacant house my great grandmother used to live in (still has electricity and running water.... oh, and a warm bed or two).

9. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

Man, nothing beats sleeping in a tent next to a noisy river. I pass out like a baby every time. That looks like an awesome place to be. I've only been to Colorado one time, a few years ago on a fishing trip with a few buddies of mine. It sure was beautiful.

10. 383man

383man Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Had two pretty awesome trips last summer

first was to the southfork of the clearwater river near elk city, idaho, near where i grew up for memorial day weekend, awesome weekend, except my truck broke down and took a week and a half to get fixed before i could haul me and my camper back to washington with it lol.

the last was to dunefest 2010 in reedsport, oregon, amazing dunes, tons of woman...i mean people...beer, and good times all around. not exactly roughing it or relaxing, but what a blast!

plan on doing both again this year, hopefully going to the dunes a few more times.