Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Who's got a DVD System / Rear Seat Entertainment Systems

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ChevyFan, Feb 19, 2010.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I just read a number that there are 22 million DVD systems in cars worldwide, and I'm curious to know how many of them are in the US, how many are built-in vs. aftermarket, etc.

So, let's do an informal poll.

1) Do you have an entertainement system in your vehicle?

2) If so, what do you have? Factory or aftermarket? Installed or portable?

3) Do you use it? How often? How important of an option is it overall?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

We have not had a built-in DVD/entertainment system, but we've had two different portable DVD systems. They allow us to keep the kids entertained, but I'll admit that it's a challenge to keep up with it and it's hard for both kids to watch it. I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket flip-down unit and getting it installed and plugged into the TB's AUX radio input.
  3. txsilverado

txsilverado Member

I have a Sony double din aftermarket in dash video. Its technically not an entertainment system but it is bypassed to play while im driving. It is definately nice to have for long trips when you just want to watch a movie instead of channel surfing the radio
  4. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

I have in dash TV's in all my vehicles. They are "supposed" to be bypassed while driving but none of mine are or ever will be. Best thing ever for road trips.
  5. Chris_N_Kris

Chris_N_Kris New Member

We've got a aftermarket Double DIN DVD head unit with Dual-Zone control. This allows our headrest DVD monitors to play movie while we listen to iPod, radio, SAT, watch TV, or DVD (bypassed). Audio is split front and rear with dual zone activated as well, meaning we listen to iPod in front, while kids watch and listen to DVD in rear. We also have IR headphones for the kids, and aux II port for gaming consoles for headrest monitors. All told about $1300 and installed myself (fairly easy and straight forward, but I have 10+ years and degree relating to electronics). Head unit was biggest investment, spending $500 on it alone. We did lose one feature: Steering Wheel Controls for radio, but we never used them anyways (you can buy an adapter to cover this ~ $100).

Live in the High Desert of California, thus traveling looonnngg hours. This entertainment addition was well worth the investment!
  6. sa24gm

sa24gm New Member

7. larryleeUSN

larryleeUSN Rockstar 100 Posts

i have tvs in the headrest with a dvd player. and im about to get a double din indash 7in screen.
  8. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a PlanetAudio drop down with built in DVD player..kids put on thier head phones and are good to go. The wifey can watch her own movie off the double din or Sat Radio etc...
  9. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn Rockstar

Came standard in the '04 Sub. Doesn't play blu-ray though. Going to look into changing it out or getting a portable to hookup to keep the kids quiet.
  10. hog-rocket

hog-rocket New Member

I have a factory Panasonic in my 08 Suburban LTZ and the head only problem i have is the head sets work about 1 out of 10 times you turn them on.