1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

why a ground wire on the hood

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by mike042, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mike042

mike042 Member

ok anyone know why there is a ground wire from fire wall to hood? I just noticed mine on the 04 tahoe broke and i was going to fix it but then wondering why its there to begin with, there's no light or anything on the hood ???
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It's probably there to reduce RFI interference that can mess with radio reception and such.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yep, plus it is also good to have all metal surfaces at ground potential.

The older Corvettes, because of the glass hood, had a lot of RF interference. The old distributor ignition caused a lot of noise in the radio. GM fixed it by covering the ignition (including the plug wires) with a grounded metal shield.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've been wondering this, myself. Thanks for taking the time to answer, as I learned something, new! :)
  5. mike042

mike042 Member

wow thanks a lot for the info! I never even thought about that, but now i know i have been noticeing my fm does cut out in certain areas where it didnt before. quess ill solder the the the ends back on:gasp:. thanks again club!!
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hmmm, might cause FM to fade, not sure.
    Transmitting antennas are happier with a ground plane, they don't normally make much difference with a receiving only antenna.