why a ground wire on the hood

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by mike042, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mike042

mike042 Member

ok anyone know why there is a ground wire from fire wall to hood? I just noticed mine on the 04 tahoe broke and i was going to fix it but then wondering why its there to begin with, there's no light or anything on the hood ???

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It's probably there to reduce RFI interference that can mess with radio reception and such.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Yep, plus it is also good to have all metal surfaces at ground potential.

The older Corvettes, because of the glass hood, had a lot of RF interference. The old distributor ignition caused a lot of noise in the radio. GM fixed it by covering the ignition (including the plug wires) with a grounded metal shield.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've been wondering this, myself. Thanks for taking the time to answer, as I learned something, new! :)

5. mike042

mike042 Member

wow thanks a lot for the info! I never even thought about that, but now i know i have been noticeing my fm does cut out in certain areas where it didnt before. quess ill solder the the the ends back on:gasp:. thanks again club!!

6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hmmm, might cause FM to fade, not sure.
    Transmitting antennas are happier with a ground plane, they don't normally make much difference with a receiving only antenna.