1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

why am I losing power when going up hills????

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by nyaristo, Jan 9, 2010.

1. nyaristo

nyaristo New Member

We'll tonight I was driving on the parkway, as I was approaching a hill I felt the truck slowing down so I gave it some gas so it down shifts but then it felt like it didn't down shift n I'm @ 3000+rpms and losing speed! This was the first time it ever happened but it did it sevral times tonight. Has anyone evr had this problem?? Or does this sound like I'm going to need a tranny or could this be a TPS sensor issue??

LET ME kNOW guys thanks
  2. nyaristo

nyaristo New Member

Oh and I forgot to add........ Its a 97 1500 Burban
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Had same problem, mine was the distributer was shot
  4. itsabowtime2

itsabowtime2 New Member

Well, it could be many things. I would start with the simple tests first.

Any codes? A TPS could rob you of power, even on flat surfaces. Clogged catalyic converter. Weak coil when under load.
  5. nyaristo

nyaristo New Member

No Codes at all but I thought of the TPS 1st its an older truck so I figured its time for the TPS even tho its not shootin codes @ me + its not that much to change, but could an actual Distributor go bad for truck or should I do a full tune up 1st before changing out a whole distributor?????

Thanks for the feed back
  6. itsabowtime2

itsabowtime2 New Member

The only times I have seen a distributer go bad was the gears got worn and it was spinning out of round. It is possible.

TPS should throw a code? The only time I had one go bad personally, it caused a code. Sold dozens of them while in the auto parts industry.

I would check the coil. It could be weak that under a load like going up a hill, or towing it is causing your issue. I have seen people chase a problem and have it end up being the coil.
  7. nyaristo

nyaristo New Member

Sounds too easy to tell but my jeep didnt throw me codes at all but had hard shifting and didnt shift til 3600 rpms and caused it the temp to rise each time but my temp is good. unfortunately my water pump went but i got 166k so it was time eventually .. but i will do the distr.(full tune-up acually) and then after that i will do the TPS and see what it does from there

thank got its not tranny problems (knock on wood)
  8. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

boA distributer can go bad for many reasons the usual suspect is there is carn lines built up and its not getting a good contact or it has simply cracked
  9. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts

NOT the whole distributer,,,only rotor and cap !!!!!!!
    Plug wires, plugs, TPS, coil, cat's, fuel filter ????????

:neutral:
  10. rokjok

rokjok New Member

dude...did it start lurching like the bottom was about to fall out? My 93 did that, turns out I needed to do plugs and wires....$30.00 later and about 2.5 hours it was over. IDEALLY you wanna do the cap and rotor too...take about 60.00 to your local Autoreillyzone, set aside half a day and your problem will be over....