Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Why are H1 Hummers so Expensive?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Thundare, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

I was looking for a H1 hummer cuz they are cooler then the other h2 and h3, Why would a 6.5 Diesel H1 Hummer cost 15-76000!!! Dollars?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There werent very many sold. And they were $100K plus to begin with. Also they arent made anymore so people seem to think that they are worth a ton of money. Me personally i worked on them and think they are worth about what a scrap yard would give me for one.. NO offense i just know how UN-reliable they are.
    Some of the fact that people think they have gold when they only have dirt.... Stupid.

3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Manly mans truck

:glasses:people are crazy! You name it: Corvair, Crosley, even VW. Why is a 65 VW selling for $6k+? 55-57 Chevy's, 69 Camaro, 70 Cuda's are selling at astronomical prices. The H1 has a testosterone appeal. Arnold owns one and so can you.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Its really about the parts that went into the H1, these were not off the shelf parts from GM like the H2 this was full ground up design that was in a sense almost indestructable right down to the paint. And just to give you a heads up, they all didnt have the same engine. there was a turbo and non turbo motor, the turbo motor went to what was called the up-armor addition that had 300lbs doors on it and a hatchback and a turret for a 50 cal or mark 19. Not to mention that the H3 is just a colorado, and the H2 is a tahoe, granted they are beefed up a bit but that is the beauty of parts sharing from one platform to aother, is dramatic cost reduction.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  5. shadowt_t

shadowt_t Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

try to buy from actions copart.com or ridesafely.com my chevy tahoe from action so what if it got an accident fix it and ride it

6. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I read that there are Govmt. surpluss hummers available for less but you ay have to buy a lot of ten or so and make some sellable by using the parts from others...

Just look under an H2 to see the difference...from the bottom the H2 looks alot like a Silverado.

A guy in the reserves [a club member] brought a military H1 to our motorcycle clubs hillclimb site & took me up the old motor cross tracks 'whoops' in it. The track was built on the side of the mountain & I wouldn't take my truck up that way...

He said the turbo diesels were the only ones worth having...while not as steep as the hillclimb I was impressed as the windshield was paralell w/ the sky a few times...the H1 chugged right up in low range, about the only other large machine to go up that way had catipillar tracks instead of wheels...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  7. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the info, Yea the H2 was made with a Tahoe Chassis so it was a lil cheaper but its still a tank.

8. Dukeschevy

Dukeschevy Rockstar 100 Posts

I have heard the same things as what most people on here are saying. I recommend getting a kit, Much cheaper and you can make it your own. Heres one body kit link- http://www.4x4bodies.com/productsWagon.php

9. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

wouldnt the H2 is built on a 3/4 ton chasis, it has the 6.0 as well as the 14 bolt rear end and the 4l80e
    they just put dif lockers in it and its suposed to be a great off road vehicle
    i bought my 3/4 ton for way cheaper and i can install a locker for $500

the H1 on the other hand is an amazing machine, with the planatary gears on the hubs. there is no other indipendant suspension vehicle with that much ground clearance
    im in the marine corps, iv seen them in action, if u get a H1 stuck and the mud isnt at least over the hood, u dont know how to drive

10. toothpick

toothpick New Member

I'm not sure the "civilian" models are built to the same specifications as the "DoD" models are, but I'm fairly confident they share many features and traits. That said, I was in the military for 10 years. I was exposed to the GM 5/4's (Trucks and Blazers) then we started getting the Hummer's.

Without a doubt, IMHO, they were worth every penny at that time. I used these vehicles in Panama (not Panama City), Belize, Honduras, islands in the Caribbean, here in the states, just to name a few. In each environment, it had Pros/Cons just like the 5/4's had. But, the wow factor in what these vehicles are capable of is just amazing. Are they a bitch when they break, yes. Do they break, yes. Do they break often, depends on abuse and environment.

I remember being in Panama, driving down the highway (if you call it that) and having a cow plain walk out in the road with traffic zooming by, I just knew we were either eating steaks that night or we were gonna be sipping food through a straw. I evaded the impact but ended up doing 3 1/2 360s in the middle of the road. The hummer barely even tilted as we spun round and round. All we saw was a **** load of white smoke and heard a roaring from the tires like no other. If was a wild ride!!!!!

I have neither the use or funds for one, but it I did, I would definitely try to get one.