1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why are we plagued with light issues?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Cheez, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Cheez

Cheez Member

The more I drive around the more I notice Silverados of all year models with a running light out. It's to the point that I'm surprised GM doesn't have a recall on it. I personally replaced 1 yesterday and both of them about 3 months ago. I've tried all types, from cheap walmart bulbs to high end Silverstars. I know my dads 2003 Duramax loses one every other month or so as well. Has anybody else noticed this problem or am I just that OCD?
    [​IMG]
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

How many hours are the bulbs rated for?
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

I have always wondered the same thing. I stopped replacing mine until I have to get my inspection done. The rumor I heard is one of them gets a little more current than the other one thus it burns out quicker. If this is the case, it would be a simple fix, but it has not bothered me enough to fix it( if that is the problem).
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

That is done on purpose so that it is less likely both lights fail at the same time making you essentially blind if it were headlights which they do the same thing.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Since it is a Pain to replace mine I've had the Silverstars in my Av since about a week after I got it. and I have the Full time DRL Mod I have not loss a Bulb yet....

I will send a note to my friend at Sylvania and see what he says....
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

My Av uses a 3157 bulb. A great bulb for signals, or brake lamps, but not up to the continuous demands of driving lamps (IMO). Cadillac uses the 4114 bulb which was designed as a driving lamp. I've changed each of mine, and as [MENTION=34858]Enkeiavalanche[/MENTION] said, they are pains to change, so I'll wait until they go again, then I'll use 4114
  7. dpeter

dpeter Member

The right and left headlights and DRL are connected in parallel with each other and therefore intended to get the same voltage and current. The only thing that will change that is changes in connection quality. I changed mine when I got it a couple of years ago and they are still working. The sockets were melted to the bulbs and a real pain to change. Maybe a higher wattage and wrong bulb in use before I got it? I make it a habit of checking all my lights in the reflections of store windows when I can and never have to have a second person.
  8. Cheez

Cheez Member

If the lights are connected in parallel then how can one fail but not the other?

It's not that big of a deal to change them on the Silverados, I just feel like these bulbs shouldn't be going out on every truck I see. Has anybody tried LED's as the driving lights instead of incandescent?
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

my old 03 had that issue with the daytime lamps on. odly the 05 never did. one thing i have noticed is its usually chevys, dont see gmcs with lights out near as often.

Alex
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Just got this from them...

Gm has a voltage problem on those bulbs. The original was a 3157, if I am not mistaken. To fix it we created the 4114 bulb to handle the heat and voltage issues caused by their electrical design.