1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Why are you a GM man?

Discussion in 'POLLing place' started by Highmarker, May 23, 2011.

1. wackoaboutgm

wackoaboutgm New Member

My father had both Ford and GM vehicles growing up. I've always thought GMs had smoother lines and looked better built than Ford or Mercury.... 1950 Olds 98, 1960 Chevy Impala, 1962 Olds, 1967 Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4, 1969 C20 Custom Camper-and my brother's 1966 Chevelle SS- driving or riding in these made me forever hooked on GM. Hated to go anywhere in mom's '67 Ford station wagon, man that thing just fell apart. Oh, and my buddy in high school had a 1965 Pontiac GTO with the 389 tri-power and muncie 4 speed. OMG that car was FAST!!! Great chick magnet too!! :great:
  2. rr1963

rr1963 New Member

I have owned only Gm vehicles since around 1990. I currently drive a '07 Suburban 1500 Ls and my wife drives a Malidu. Been happy with GM and don't see myself driving anything else.
  3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Because no automaker makes a competitor to the Suburban. Unless you count the Excursion, which is now discontinued and had a couple of fairly serious shortcomings back when they were made.

Not much else that can confortably haul five adults and an 8500 pound trailer through snow, mud, etc. The closest non-GM alternatives are the F-250 crew cab (Dodge doesn't make a true crew cab) and a full-size van with an aftermarket 4wd conver$ion.

I've owned and driven cars, trucks, and bikes from all the major makers, foreign and domestic, over the years. They all have their strengths, and I think the last 20 years or so have brought us the best cars and trucks throughout history, 57 Chevrolets notwithstanding.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Because I don't like Dodge, Ford, Nissan, or Toyota trucks. Dodges seem to fall apart early in their vehicular lives. Dad's a Ford guy and his have all had electrical problems of some kind late in their lives (usually due to poor connections, I've learned). Nissans and Toyotas are both ugly to my eye...
  5. bobnj54

bobnj54 New Member

My brother used to work at the GM plant in Linden, NJ. They closed it down a few years back. I had a Ford Ranger before GM starting offering discounts for family members. The paint was just peeling off. I bought the 98 S10 in June of that year. It's still on the road with close to 250,000 miles. We bought a Celebrity wagon once my older son was born and he was driving it when he first got his license. We bought a Venture back in 03 and traded that in last year for my wife's "dream car" an Impala. Once my brother leaves this earth (hopefully not for quite some time) we loose the discount. But would I still buy a Chevy, hell yeah. I just wish they still made the S10. I would buy another in a heartbeat.
  6. Chevy Racer

Chevy Racer New Member

Chevy nailed it with their slogan "Chevy runs deep" Its definitely the case with my family. Everyone in my immediate family owns Chevys. And there tough as nails. My first truck, a 98 silverado that my dad bought new and i got when i was 16 had 195,000 miles on it, i proceeded to put 50,000 on it. Now its just a truck we use around the farm but it still has not had a single problem except a small radiator leak. not a speck of rust on the thing either (unbelievable considering i live in northern Wisconsin) Just today I picked up a 2008 ext cab silverado with the 5.3 and amazing leather seats inside :great: Im new to this forum but plan on posting some pics in the future!
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Because nothing else even comes close!
  8. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

My family was always GM, my uncle worked for a Pontiac dealer. My dad always had GM cars.

When I was 21 I got a job at a quick lube and noticed that of the 3 American brands GM had the least leaks with Ford being the biggest oil leakers out there.

I've owned several GM cars and have never really had any problems. With that being said I used to own a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac and really liked the truck. One thing I have always noticed is that GMs usually get better fuel economy with more power than Fords.
  9. Carl Sacon

Carl Sacon New Member

Geezer me, my first car was a 1929 Chevy bought in 1946, followed by a few dozen more. My first job was in a GM machine shop in Flint, in 1948. Retired from Detroit Diesel in 1987, now down to only 2 GM trucks, a Saturn Vue, and a Cruze. I'm new here, hope ya'all have time for a geezer. Carl
  10. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

First off, I have no desire to own/drive any imports or anything from Dodge/Chrysler. That just leaves Ford Motor Company and GM. My mom and dad have always driven Fords and when it came time to get my first vehicle, I knew well what Ford had to offer. I knew I wanted a truck and my dad had an F-150 I had driven plenty. I test drove a Silverado and was very pleased. For the same price as a comparable F-150, the Silverado was well appointed, seemed to have more room inside and seemed to drive and shift smoother. I went with the Silverado and never looked back.

Also, I'm a huge NASCAR fan (as you can see in my sig) and I root for the Chevy teams. They sure win a lot. :glasses:

The new Chevy SS is set to debut right around the same time I will looking for a new car. I'm seriously thinking of getting one.