GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Why can't Chevy make a Raptor fighter?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mrbrown88, Mar 24, 2013.

1. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 New Member

I have been a Chevy guy my whole life, from the first time I set my eyes on my Grandpa's old Chevy farm truck, but why can't GM make a fun truck? Don't get me wrong I love my truck and I have some fun in it, but why can't they make a truck that would compete with the Raptor? Something with a big motor, beefy tires and off road oriented. Can anyone answer me this? I'm seriously considering trading mine in on a Raptor unless they can figure something up.

Just having a little fun on Sunday seeing what all the other Chevy (and GMC) guys thought.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Meet the ZR2 Silverado. GM never produced it because they saw how horrible the raptor sold and decided it wasn't worth it to make it a production model.
    zr2.jpg
    There is the older ZR2 S-10s and Blazers as well as some specially built Tahoe Z71s and Silverados but these were built in the late 90's and early 2000's where the economy was strong and GM was willing to risk the cost.
  3. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member

If they ever decided to produce that truck I'd have mine the day they hit the showroom floor......:glasses:
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

I agree 100%, but unfortunately what you get with the said combo is about 10mpg's. expensive to replace tires, and a niche vehicle that a select few would buy. Plus that truck would be an easy $50k+
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

That prototype truck would cost +50k in mass production? Other than the off road stuff, I think the 2014's should at least look like this (body panels, hood, etc) stock. They might actually sell more trucks for once.

And have a dual paint color scheme also, that actually sets the truck off.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

You want to know why?? Because GM does NOT know how to build and Market a Truck that good. Remember A Z71 is nothing more then a Locker some skid plates and stickers.. Yay..... NOT!!!!! And how much are they??? Don't know where you are BUT the Raptor sells well here in the NE. If GM did have one You can bet that it will be way Over priced and this is why they would not sell well..
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

GM -does- make a fun truck, they just leave it to you to customize instead of stamping out Raptor clones.

Frankly, I prefer that, and all the people with cookie cutter Raptors crack me up. For that kind of money they could have each tweaked their trucks to be their own visions of what a truck is. Instead of using their imaginations with that budget, they each bought clones ... and now they've each got just another (humdrum) Raptor.

I mean what's a Raptor got that you can't do, yourself? 35's? You can add them. Fender flares to cover those 35's? Add them. 6.2L V8? You can buy a GM with a big engine if you want and customize, from there. 12" of supension travel? Yup, if you care about that you can do that, too. Toggle switches? You can do those, yourself, too. Oh, and as a reminder, you can do pretty much all of the aftermarket items, there, cheaper than if they came from the factory.

For those who would buy a GM equivalent if it existed, I have to ask you, "Why?" Why not make your truck into what you want from a truck ... instead of settling for someone else's vision???
  8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

When was the last time GM actually had a vehicle to compete with any of the SVO vehicles? The Raptor has a niche for people that may not have the time or imagination to do it on their own. Lets look at the items on the Raptor that people like/want. Fox shocks. I got King's. Raptor 35's, BDS suspension to clear 35's. Raptor has big horsepower, add a Edelbrock supercharger to increase your power out put. I am sure there is more but those are the big things. A Raptor goes for about 55k I think.
    $2k Suspsion
    $1500 tires
    $5k Supercharger
    $1500 for regear
    With that being said the sticker price for my truck was around $43k. So add all the things listed along with the purchase price and you have a GM badged truck that is as much fun as a Raptor.
  9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Well really the high end Camero ZL1 and Corvette ZL1 and ZO6 are production SVO vehicles. For trucks the last would be the ZR2 Blazers and S-10s and the Silverado SS. ZR2 stopped production in 2005. So right when the economy began to tank.

Also [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION] why use an aftermarket super charger when GM makes several diffident ones... As well as crate engines and trannys.
  10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member

I had a ZR2 Blazer and although I had no issues with it SVO it was not.
    I listed an Edelbrock supercharger because I knew the price on it. I have no idea of price/quality for the GM units. A 572 runs in the neighborhood of $7k or more.
  11. f5fstop

f5fstop Former Member

Looking for used ones...come out to Moab, UT. People here buy them, try them on the slick rock ledges, and trade them in, or they end up modifying with a lift, larger tires and let's not forget some strong undercarriage protection. They are nice vehicles, just not the off-road beast ford advertises; at least here where off-road really means off the road.:rofl:
  12. stchman

stchman New Member

The F150 SVT Raptor is a 47K truck in CC before options. By the time you add options, you are looking at ~$54K. You can get a lot of off road options by building a Silverado 4WD with a 6.2L with off road stuff.

Who here wants to drop $50K+ on a truck and take it out for some good off road beating?
  13. mrbrown88

mrbrown88 New Member

But by the time you buy a new Silverado with a 6.2, crew cab and optioned out like the Raptor is, plus suspension, tires, regear (Raptor has 4.10's), true rear locker and keeping your factory warranty you are way over the $54k price tag. Not saying that you couldn't make a Silverado just as badass or just as capable, just saying it would take a lot more time and money. I don't know, I feel that the Raptor is just a more obvious choice. Maybe I'm missing something?
  14. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

You're not missing anything. [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION] said it very well when he said:
    Do I think that GM needs to produce a similar vehicle for people who lack time and/or imagination? Nope. And since the taxpayers helped bail out GM, I'm glad we didn't spend taxpayer money on a supposed Raptor fighter. Let Ford have those with no time or imagination, I say!
  15. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton New Member

16. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime New Member

SurrealOne
    Hit the nail on the head and took the words right out of my mouth. I read a post that said the Raptor sells great? Ford is losing money on that truck, turns out most folks don't want to spend dam near 50 to 60K on a one trick pony pickup. I've seen more youtube clips of people destroying them thinking they can be run like a sand rig. The idea was cool but Ford just figured they could make a mid level off road truck, put some bells and whistles in it that look like what most guys were doing to their custom rigs; advertise the Hp, wheel travel and big rubber. Then the serious enthusiasts where just going to drop their wrenches and pony up almost 60K on a new truck for what most were doing with 45K. You got the well off, mechanically un inclined to bite. Tod and Muffy could go to the dealer and feel real butch until they figure out the mileage sucks and they don't hit the trails as often as they thought they would. That and their BMW SUV handled better and were almost as fast. The other half is the well off motor sports enthusiasts who owns a trail rig and want a daily driver that, sort of emulates what their trail rig or sand rail can do. These two demographics sell okay till the novelty wears off. Lesson learned by Ford loyalists with the Lightning, cool truck till you had to replace tires or do normal wear and tear maintenance. Especially when the stupid expensive replacement parts start coming into the mix during services. I'd like the slight upgrade to the Z71, like the Sierra off road edition. A ride height of the 2500 may be with a 6.2 with standard twice pipes would be cool too. As for the rest, I could for go the heavy window sticker and do the rest myself. Keeping the truck more affordable to the bulk of buyers and getting a few additional tweaks of utility.
  17. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 New Member

Raptor-fighter? really???

it's interesting how many people easily say they would buy something if GM made it. Let's see...6,200 pounds, $53,000, and 11 MPG in town. That doesn't sound like something that is going to fly out the door. For the person who said they are selling well in NE...Ford's published sales figures do not bear that out. It may look like they are selling well becuase you "see a lot of them", but it seems like you see a lot of them becuase they are very easy to spot. The Raptor is not really a money-maker for Ford, it is an image builder, and it was done well.

I'm with the crowd that says, "Turn your current truck into your vision of the Raptor".

JMO, though.
  18. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member

The price is the only downfall, my last Silvy was a 2009 2500hd weighing in at 6600lbs and got 9-10mpg around town, so a "Raptor fighter" would be an upgrade on that.
  19. stchman

stchman New Member

I live here in St. Louis and I can't recall ever seeing a Raptor. I see lots of King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited F150s, but no Raptors, so you can't say that people here don't have the money when a Limited starts at $53K for a 4WD version.
  20. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member

If you're ever in the Detroit area you will see a Raptor every half a mile.