Why do I get zapped when I get out?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by kuziwr, Dec 8, 2009.

1. kuziwr

kuziwr New Member

Why do I get zapped when i get out of my truck. It never use too happen?

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

In cooler weather the air can be drier which helps promote static electricity. Also polyester pants or perhaps a nylon windbreaker is another source of the zap! I work around electronics all the time and we go to lengths to prevent static build-up. A small zap can ruin an $8000 circuit card, and that is a big OUCH!

That spark you generate while getting out of the car can be dangerous. Check out these videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQYr507r_A"]YouTube- Static Discharge[/ame]
    This guy was filling a gas can and it almost cost him his life:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgAaj3DkA-w"]YouTube- surveillance cam footage of truck catching fire[/ame]

3. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

do you have any aftermarket subs or eletronics installed??

4. kuziwr

kuziwr New Member

Lol i sure do, and some dome light issues, just wanted to know if they may be connected in any way

5. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Rockstar 100 Posts

A quick remedy is to rub your truck seat contact areas with a fresh dryer sheet. It will knock down the static and doesn't hurt to make the interior smell better. There are also anti-static sprays, but I prefer the smell of clean clothes. Winter's a *itch.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I get shocked ALL THE TIME during the winter here in DFW. It didn't happen growing up becuase I lived in the Northwest with higher moisture content in the air. I just expect it and I ground myself on the car door when I get out virtually all the time when I get out. Just press the outside of my arm against the door and get rid of that static.

:gasp: