Why do I get zapped when I get out?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by kuziwr, Dec 8, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. kuziwr

kuziwr New Member

Why do I get zapped when i get out of my truck. It never use too happen?
  2. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

In cooler weather the air can be drier which helps promote static electricity. Also polyester pants or perhaps a nylon windbreaker is another source of the zap! I work around electronics all the time and we go to lengths to prevent static build-up. A small zap can ruin an $8000 circuit card, and that is a big OUCH!

That spark you generate while getting out of the car can be dangerous. Check out these videos:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQYr507r_A"]YouTube- Static Discharge[/ame]
    This guy was filling a gas can and it almost cost him his life:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgAaj3DkA-w"]YouTube- surveillance cam footage of truck catching fire[/ame]
  3. lsutoms

lsutoms New Member 100 Posts

do you have any aftermarket subs or eletronics installed??
  4. kuziwr

kuziwr New Member

Lol i sure do, and some dome light issues, just wanted to know if they may be connected in any way
  5. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 New Member 100 Posts

A quick remedy is to rub your truck seat contact areas with a fresh dryer sheet. It will knock down the static and doesn't hurt to make the interior smell better. There are also anti-static sprays, but I prefer the smell of clean clothes. Winter's a *itch.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I get shocked ALL THE TIME during the winter here in DFW. It didn't happen growing up becuase I lived in the Northwest with higher moisture content in the air. I just expect it and I ground myself on the car door when I get out virtually all the time when I get out. Just press the outside of my arm against the door and get rid of that static.

:gasp: