Why do people call the G80 a "Gov Lock"

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Dec 20, 2012.

  1. stchman

    stchman Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

    I tried Googling why and come up with nothing.

  2. Jamm3r

    Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

    Because it contains a governor-like system of weights and springs that senses speed differential between wheels, and locks the diff if the speed differential exceeds some threshold.

    gov lock = governor lock.

    It's not really a governor but since the 1700s people have been calling any sort of mechanical speed sensitive device a governor:

  3. stchman

    stchman Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

    I was kind of figuring that, but with everybody calling GM "Government" Motors, I thought it might have been more people being an SA.
  4. Boonduff

    Boonduff Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

    Gov-lock is GM's name for the differential. G80 is the RPO code used by GM to identify the option. Its was introduced by GM in the newly redesigned 1973 trucks as the G86 option, an upgrade from the G80 which was a clutch type limited slip also known as Positraction. In 1974 the Positraction diff was discontinued and the G80 code was moved to the Gov-Lock. Eaton, the company that manufactures the differential, calls it the MLocker.
  5. buckmeister2

    buckmeister2 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

    boonie...that is a beautiful suburban, man. i had a '97 tahoe during a period when i was driving 60k per year. i put 242K on that bad boy with no engine or running gear issues at all. when i sold it, it used not a spoonful of oil between changes (5,000 miles, with synthetic). i don't think they build them like that anymore.

  6. j cat

    j cat Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos